History - Spanish American War and WWI
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name the strike that steel workers created because their wages were cut. Who won?
- The Homestead StrikeBusiness owners won, union workers lost
Name some changes made by the Progressive Movement.
Child labor laws, working conditions were improved, reduced work hours, and women's suffrage
Women gained the right to vote with this Amendment (#)
Susan B. Anthony and who worked hard for Women's Suffrage?
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
This movement was composed of groups opposed to the making and consuming of alcohol.
What is Prohibition?
A period of time when it was illegal to make, sell, or drink alcohol
This Amendment (#) prohibits the manufacture, sale, and distribution of alcohol.
What were the reasons for the Spanish American War?
- Protection of American business interests in CubsSupport of Cuban rebels to gain independence from Spain
- U.S.S Maine sinking (revenge)
- Yellow journalism (exaggerated news reports)
What were the results of the Spanish American War?
- The United States emerged as a world powerCuba gained it's independence from Spain
- The United States gained possession of land
Name the land that the U.S. gained from the Spanish American War.
- Puerto Rice
Name the resons for the U.S.'s involvement in WWI.
- Inability to remain neutralGerman submarine warfare (sinking of the Lusitania) The Zimmerman TelegramU.S. economic and political ties to Great Britain
Name the Allies during WWI. (Great Friends Remember Secrets Best)
- Great Britain
Name the Central Powers during WWI. (Germs Are Horrible Black Organisms)
- Ottoman Empire (Turkey)
Who prepared a peace plan called the 14 Points?
President Woodrow Wilson
Name the peace-keeping organization after WWI.
The League of Nations
What country did NOT join the League of Nations?
The United States
List the results of improved transportation.
- Greater mobility
- Creation of jobs
- Movement to suburban areas
- Growth of transportation-related industries
Who was responsible for the invention of the airplane?
The Wright Brothers
Who was responsible for the invention / use of the assembly line?
Who is responsible for the broadcast industry?
What are ways that electricity changes everybody's life?
- Labor-saving products
- Electric lighting
- Improved communication
What was the name of the place where people could drink alcohol illegally which also promoted organized crime?
What were people called who smuggled illegal alcohol and promoted organized crime?
What is the Hull House?
A Settlement House created by Jane Addams. She helped immigrant children by providing a safe place where they could learn how to read / write and get medical care while their parents work long hours in factories.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview