The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the chemical equation for photosynthesis?
6CO2 + 12H2O + light → C6H12O6 + 6O2 + 6H2O
______ is a pore, usually found in the leaf epidermis that is used for gas exchange. It is bordered by ______, a pair of specialized parenchyma cells responsible for regulating the size of the opening.
- Stoma (singular) or Stomata (plural)
- Guard Cells
- Organelles found in plant sells
- Site of photosynthesis
Dense, colorless fluid within the chloroplast. Site of conversion of carbon dioxide to sugar
The ______ is the location of chloroplast DNA and chloroplast ribosomes
Stroma vs Stoma
- Stroma - Fluid within chlorpolast
- Stoma - Singular for stomata (pores that allow CO2 in & O2 out)
Flattened sac-like membranes compartment inside chloroplasts
Site of the light-dependent reactions of photosynthesis converting light energy to chemical energy
A dense layered stack of thylakoid sacs
- Green pigment in chloroplast
- Absorbs light energy
In photosynthesis, light reactions occur in the _______ while dark reactions occur in the _______
- Grana (thylakoid stacks)
Water is delivered to the leaves from the roots through a ______ system
The oxygen that plants give off comes from _______ and NOT from ______.
Why is this? List the general chemical equation.
from H2O and NOT CO2
The light that is absorbed splits water into hydrogen and oxygen
H2O + light energy ---> ½ O2 + 2H+ + 2 electrons
The production of ATP using the energy of sunlight is called _____
Light energy is converted to chemical energy in the form of which two compounds? What do they do?
NADPH & ATP
- A source of electrons
- Has "reducing power" that can be passed to an electron acceptor
- Molecular energy currency of cells
Light is a form of energy called _______ or ________
- Electromagnetic Energy
- Electromagnetic Radiation
The distance between the crests of electromagnetic waves is called a
wavelength (one word)
Electromagnetic Spectrum is...
The entire range of radiation
Visible Light is defined as
- A narrow band on the electromagnetic spectrum
- 380 to 750 nm in wavelength
- Can be detected as various colors by human eye
A photon is
- A particle
- The quantum of light
- Has no rest mass
- Not tangible
Substances that absorb light are
Absorb all colors --> eye sees black
Plants appear green because
- Chlorophyll absorbs red, violet, & blue wavelengths
- Reflects green wavelengths
The ability of a pigment to absorb various wavelengths of light can be measured with an instrument called a
A graph plotting a pigment's light absorption vs wavelength is called a(n)