The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are arthropods?
- The largest and most diverse group of animals in the world.
- All arthopods have
- -jointed legs
- -exoskeleton (hard outer covering)
What does molt mean?
To shed outer layer to grow bigger
Explain the insect.
- 3 body parts- head, thorax, and abdoman
- 6 legs
- open circulatory system
- go through metamorphosis
What are spiracles?
brings oxygen directly into tissues
What is complete metamorphosis?
- egg, larva (worm-like), pupa (resting), adult
- young does NOT look like adult
What is incomplete metamorphosis?
- Egg, nymph, adult
- Young looks like adult
Describe the arachnid
- 2 body regions
- 8 legs
- may be venomous
- Examples: spiders, scorpians, ticks, mites
What are Centipedes?
- 1 pair of legs per segment
- predators, use venom
What are millipedes?
- 2 pairs of legs per segment
- eat plants
What are crustaceans?
- 5 pairs of legs
- 2 pairs of antennae
- 3 types of chewing appendages
- hard outer covering
- swimmerets force water over the gills
- Examples: Crabs, crayfish, lobsters, shrimp, barnacles