Organic Chem & Functional Groups
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Benzene Ring + CO2H
Benzene Ring + NH2
Indicated Carbon position of OH, add "OL" to alkane base name... don't forget to position any substituient groups :D
- **CYCLOalkanes: don't position the "oh" since it's given that's the 1st carbon.
- ex: 3-ethylcyclopentanol
- Ending: "one" ex: PentanONE
- Description: Carbonyl group bonded to two same or different R's
- ending: "OIC ACID" ex: PropanOIC ACID
- Description: Carbonyl group connected to an R on one side and hydroxyl group on the other (OH)
- NAMING: Name substituient groups alphabetically + ETHER
**NO CARBONYL GROUP: only Oxygen w/o CARBON! **
- NAMING: ends in "OATE"; ex: PropanOATE
>>MUST NAME ALCOHOL PART FIRST THEN ACID PART +OATE!!
ACID GIVES UP OH AND ALCOHOL GIVES UP H!
Which functional groups contain a carbonyl group?!
- Carboxylic Acids
- Isopropyl-rubbing alchol
- Ethylene glycol: antifreeze
- Glycerol: non-toxic sweetner
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview