Information & Technology
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
A software package that is used with a large set of organized data that presents the computer as an expert on a particular topic
Computer memory which is used to store programs that must be accessed immediately by the CPU
1 example = a printer
examples include a mouse and keyboard
What is generally included in an Office Suite?
Databases, spreadsheets, word processing
Controls the execution of computer programs and may provide various services
Parts of a CPU
- - Control Unit
- - Arithmetic Unit
- - Logic Unit
MIPS stands for?
Millions of instructions per second
Enterprise Resource Planning
ERP software is a form of applications software that provides relatively complete information systems for a large and medium size organizations
Value Added Network
A privately owned network whose services are sold to the public.
ROM and RAM
- Read Only Memory is memory whose contents can be accessed and read but cannot be changed
- Random Access Memory is the most common computer memory
A set of step by step procedures used to accomplish a task
Decodes instructions written in a higher order language and produces an assembly language program
Graphical User Interface
Address (in the context of a spreadsheet)
row and column coordinates
Most current computers process data using what format?
Digital:represent information by numerical (binary) digits
What are 1st and 2nd generation programming languages
1st: Instructions in terms of 1's and 0's
2nd: Instructions relatively close to human language
Data Definition Language (DDL)
Data Manipulation Language (DML)
Data Control Language (DCL)
Data Query Language (DQL)
- DDL: Used to define (i.e. determine) the database
- DCL: Used to specify privileges and security rules
- DML: Provides programers with a facilty to update the database
- DQL: Used for ad hoc queries
The combining of one or more tables based on matching criteria
Why is user acceptance testing more important in an object oriented development process than in a traditional environment?
All objects in a class inherit the properties of the hierarchy, which means that changes to one object may affect other objects, which increases the importance of user acceptance testing to verify correct functioning of the whole system
- A process of database design (not distribution)
- - sperating the database into logical tables for easier user processing
Methods for distributing a relational database across multiple servers
:making a copy of the database for distribution
- Replication:creating and maintaining replica copies at multiple locations
- Fragmentation:separating the database into parts and distributing where they are needed
Optical Character Recognition: convert a paper document into a computer file
used for frequent access to archived documents such as canceled checks in banking applications
Batch Computer System
- - Batch programs are run periodically and thereby result in delays in processing; accordingly detection of misstatements may be delayed
- - Process sequentially against a master file
- - Key punching is followed by machine processing
- - numerous batches ordinarily results in numerous printouts
- - Used to screen incoming data against established standards of validity, with data that pass all edit checks as "valid" and then processed
- - Will ordinarily create an output file of rejected transactions
A method for storing previous generations of master file data that are continuously updated. The son is the current file, the father is a copy of the frile from the previous cycle, and the grandfather is a copy of the file from the cylce before that one.
A Wide Area Network is used to span a wide geographical space to link together portions of an organization
Set of Rules for exchanging data between 2 systems
Methods through which to input data
- - Magnetic tape reader
- - Point-of-sale recorders
- - Touch sensitive screens
- - Involves individual users performing the developent and execution of computer applications in a decentralized manager
- - Most likely to be executed on a personal computer
Involves networked computers processing transactions for a single (or related) database
Protect data in transmission over communications lines
- Handle data streams from peripheral devices to a central processor
The process of selecting the appropriate data fields from various application databases and passing them to EDI translation software
Involves the actual modification of the data into a standard format that is used by the EDI system.
Hot and Cold Site
- Hot:a site that is already configured to meet a user's requirements
- Cold:a facility that provides everything necessary to quickly install computer equipment but doesn't have the computers installed
A control total where the total is meaningless for financial purposes, but has some meaning for process purposes
Establishes an upper and/or lower limit as reasonable, with results outside of those limits indicated.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview