Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What are the signs at Baptism?
- Sacramentals help us pray and celebrate the Sacraments.
- The Water represents dying to sin and rising to new life in Christ.
- The Holy Oil shows that the newly baptized is to live as a disciple of Christ.
- The White Garment shows that the newly baptized has become a new creation in Christ.
- The Lighted Candle represents the newly baptized call to share in the mission of Christ.
Which Gospel has the ancestry of Jesus?
The Gospel of Matthew traces Jesus' ancestry to Abraham.
What are the words that begin John's Gospel?
Where else can they be found?
- "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
- The Book of Genesis also begins with "In the beginning".
- "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
What are the Ten Commandments?
- 1. I am the Lord, your God. You shall not have other gods beside me.
- 2. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.
- 3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
- 4. Honor your father and mother.
- 5. You shall not kill.
- 6. You shall not commit adultery.
- 7. You shall not steal.
- 8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- 9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
- 10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
Who was Blessed Bernard Lichtenberg?
- Blessed Bernard Lichtenberg was a priest who moved to Germany to protest Nazism, especially the persecution of the Jews.
- He was arrested by Nazis, imprisoned in a concentration camp, was tortured, and died.
What are the Beatitudes?
When were they taught by Jesus?
- The Beatitudes are Jesus' teachings about how to live and find real happiness in God's Kingdom.
- The teach us to love God, love one another, seek justice, and spread peace.
Jesus taught them when great crowds gathered to hear Jesus teach about God's Kingdom.
What are the 8 Beatitudes?
- 1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- 2. Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- 3. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
- 4. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
- 5. Blessed are they who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- 6. Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
- 7. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
- 8. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
What is Holy Orders?
Who are some of the people who take these vows?
- Holy Orders is one of the Seven Sacraments in which baptized men are consecrated in the Sacrament of Holy Orders to continue the work of Christ as bishops, priests, and deacons, which are the three degrees of Holy Orders.
- These people are commissioned to baptize, preach the Gospel, and make disciples of all people.
What did John Paul II have rewritten?
- John Paul II called for the writing of a new catechism to summarize the Church's teachings.
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church was published in 1994.
What is a covenant?
Who did God make Covenants with?
- A covenant is an agreement that brings about a relationship of commitment between God and his people.
- God made Covenant with Noah and all his descendants, Abraham and his descendants, Moses, and David.
The Eucharist is the center of _____.
all Catholic life
What is the celebration of Christ's Resurrection (other than Easter)?
The Holy Mass is a celebration of the Paschal Mystery (the Passion, Death and Resurrection).
What is considered to be the birthday of the Church?
Which are the Sacraments that offer us time to repent our sins?
The Sacraments of Healing are Penance and Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick.
Obedience makes who the Church's model of faith and charity?
Who called for a rewriting of the catechism?
Pope John Paul II
Who can hear the Sacrament of Reconciliation?
Validly ordained bishops and priests.
What was the sign of Lazarus being raised from the dead?
The new life that Jesus would give to all who believe.