Vital Signs Practicum
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
6 Vital Signs?
- 4-Blood Pressure
- 5-Pulse Ox.
Normal Range of Temperature
Celsius= 36-38 degrees
Normal range of pulse for adults
Normal range for respiratory
12-20 per min.
Normal range of for blood pressure
Normal range of pulse ox.
0 to 10, 0=no pain; 10=most pain possible
First 6 steps of interaction with a patient.
- 1- Introduction
- 2- Wash Hands
- 3- I.D. the pt.
- 4- provide privacy
- 5- Explain procedure
- 6- Ask how they are feeling
What is included in introduction?
- Name and Title
- (Ron Skiba nursing student)
How should patient be identified?
Ask patient their name and birthday while observing ID band
Where can a temperature be taken?
- Orally-posterior sublingual pocket
- Axillary- deep in arm pit
- Rectally-insert 1-1.5"
What can interfere with the accuracy of a temperature reading?
- smoking, eating, drinking
- wait 30 min. to check temperature after any of these have occured
Where are the 8 palpable pulse sites?
- 7-Dorsal pedis
- 8-Posterior tibial
Where is the apical pulse site?
5th intercostal space midclavicular line
What are the 3 ways to measure respiratory rate?
- 1- sight; after taking 30 sec. pulse, count the number of times the chest rises and falls for 30 sec and x2.
- 2- palpate; placing hand on chest and feel the number of chest rises and falls for 30 sec. and x2.
- 3- auscultate; place stethoscope on chest and count number of breath cycles in 1 min.
How to obtain the estimated target systolic?
Feel for radial pulse and slowly inflate cuff untill pulse disappears and add 30.
What is the term for a heart rate over 100? And under 60?
What is the term for a respiratory rate above 20? And under 12?
What is the term for consistantly elevated BP? And decreased BP?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview