- Action or state
- (to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must. Englishclub.com is a web site. I like englishclub.com.
- Thing or person
- Pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John, This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.
- Describes a noun
- A/an, the, 69, some, good, big, red, well, interesting My dog is big. I like big dogs.
- Describes a verb, adjective or adverb
- Quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really. My dog eats quickly. When he is very hungry, he eats really quickly.
- Replaces a noun
- I, you, he, she, some. Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.
- Links a noun to another word
- To, at, after, on, but. We went to school on Monday.
- Joins clauses or sentences or words
- And, but, when I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
- Short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence
- Oh!, ouch!, hi!, well. Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.