Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What do the mass number and the atomic number represent?
- Mass Number: The weight of an atom. i.e: Total Number of Protons + Total Number of Neutrons
- Atomic Number: Number of Protons/Electrons
What is A Compound?
A substance containing two or more types of atom, chemically bonded together.
Different atomic forms of the same element, which have the same number of protones/electrons but a different number of neutrons
Breifly describe the process of atomic bonding.
In ionic bonding, atoms lose or gain electrons to form charged particles (called ons) which then are strongly attracted to eachother (Because of the attreaction of opposite charges, + and -).
Describe the structure of an Ionic Compound.
A regular lattice Structure.
Name the 3 Ionic Compound in the CPG Chemistry book (page 45) [and draw thewm on a piece of paper.]
- Sodium Chloride (NaCl)
- Magensium Oxide (MgO)
- Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
What to types of substane does Ionic Bonding occur between?
Metal and Non-Metals
What is covelant bonding?
A bond between two non-metals where the atoms "Share" electrons so they can have complete outter shells.
Name some Covelantly bonded substances, There formuals, How they're bonded and There state of matter.
[eg Water, H2O, H--O--H, Liquid]
(Chemistry CGP books, Page 46-47)
- Methane CH4 Gas HH--C--HH
- Hydrogen Chloride HCl Liquid H--Cl
- Ammonia NH3 Solid HH--N--H
- Hydrogen H2 gas H--H
- Oxygen O2 Gas O=O (oxygen has a double bond [=]
In tems of sub-atomic particles and wow metallic bonding works, explain how does electricity flow through a metalic substance? (Quality of Writen Communication)
In Metalic bonding, all the electrons on the outter shells become delocalised (free), This then enables them to travel within the substance an when an electric charge runs through it the electrons are free to travle nd acarry it through the substance.
Explain how alloys are stronger than pure metals in terms of particles.
- A metal substance is very regular:
- OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- But when you introduce different sized particles it disrupts the pattern:
- OpOOOOOOOOOpOOOOOOpOOOOOOpOOOOO OOOOOOpOOOOOOOOOOOOpOOOOOOOOpOO OOOOOOOOpOOOOpOOOOOOOOpOOOOOOOO OpOOOOOpOOOOOpOOOOOOpOOOOOOpOO
- This means the particles find it more difficult to move over eachother and therefore the substance is more difficult to break and bend.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview