Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1. DoB ?
2. DoD ?
3. Started Cambridge?
4. Started Columbia?
- 1. Jan 1915
- 2. Dec 1968
- 3. Oct 1933
- 4. Jan 1935
1. D.T. Suzuki meeting
2. Thich Nhat Hanh
3.Dalai Lama (14th)
- 1. 1959 - talks published in Zen and Birds of appetite
- 2. 1966
- 3. 1968 and Dharmsala - Lama's place of Exile
QUOTE : Dalia Lama on Merton
"Learned, disciplined and has a good heart"
QUOTE: Lama's thoughts on Merton's Spirituality
" This was the first time that I was struck with such a feeling of spirituality by someone who professed Christianity."
QUOTE : Bob Murray (Fransiscan Priest and author) on Merton and Lama
"The Dalai Lama credits Merton by opening his eyes to the truth that Tibetan Buddhism does not hold the world's only truth"
Merton's two articles on Gandhi?
- 1. Gandhi : the Gentle Revolutionary
- 2. Gandhi and the One - Eyed Giant
Gandhi's two formulations and their meanings...
- 1. Satyagraha: 'truth force'
- "Simply conforming one's words with one's inner thoughts"
- 2. Ahisma: 'non-violence'
Merton Quotes on Ghandi
1. "Jesus died in vain if he did not teach us to regulate the whole life by the eternal law of love"
2. "Non-violence is the only things that atom bombs cannot destroy"
How many were at Vietnam anti-war protests?
1,000,000 in New York
Merton's key viewpoints on Vietnam...
1) ... ?
2) ... ?
3) ... ?
4) ... ?
- 1. Thought Vietnam was an example of USA thinking they were 'the centre of the world'.
- 2. Founded interfaith coalition against Vietnam war
- 3.'Naht Hanh is my Brother', plea for action on Naht Hanh's proposals for peace
- 4.Nhat Hanh.. 2 meetings with Pope Paul VI, seeking cooperation between catholics and Buddhists in bringing peace to Vietnam.
While at Columbia he volunteered at what?
Friendship House at Harlem
Three main Phases..
3. ? (Three stages of point 3)
- 1. Life at Uni: He was involved in student peace movements
- 2. Life as a young monk: First sixteen years he removed himself from troubles of the world
- 3. Later days as a monk: awakening process began in 1950s and became a social activist.
How did Merton begin his active social Concern?
- 1. Immersed himself in cultural 1960s literature and reflected on nuclear bombing on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
- 2. Satirized the dropping of the bomb in poem, "Original Bomb Child"
- 3. Was appalled at the passivity of USA catholics and the Church, wrote many out spoken writings, Cold War Letters ETC.
Merton Quote on Pacifism...
"In the name of peace they wrought enormous destruction. In the name of liberty they exploited and enslaved. In the name of man they engaged in genocide or tolerated it."
Abbot of Gethsemani on Merton
'He was a young brother - because he was a man whose eyes and ears were always open.. and searching for light in that deeper intimacy with God through prayer and contemplation'
1. Merton enters Gethsemani
2. Merton writes Seven Storey Mountain
3. Fourth and Walnut
- 1.1941 (ordained as priest in 1949)
- 2. 1948
- 3. March 1958
Fouth and Walnut (early 60s) Quote...
"..suddenly over-whelmed with the realisation that I loved all these people. That they were mine and I was theirs and they could never be trully alien to me even though we were total stangers."
- 1. Date: 10 Dec 1968
- 2. Where: Bangkok. Conference on Monastic Renewal
- 3. Why: Giving a lecture of 'Marxism and the Monastic Perspective.'
Cold War Letters
1.When was the first one written?
2. How many?
- 1. Eve of the Cuban Missile Crisis - Oct. 1961
- 2. 111
- 3. "Really we have to pray for a total and profound in the mentality of the whole world."
QUOTE on Cold War Letters by a secondary scholar.
- 1. James W. Douglas
- 2. the letters are.. 'a form of praying in the darkness, a search for the light with the companions he addressed."
Mertons main points on THE COLD WAR..
- 1. Cold War had deadened the consiences of its supporters, catholics had been infected by worldly beliefs
- 2. Believed that their power and social status can be protected by military force
- 3. He expresses sadness that Jesus' nonviolent ethic had not been taken seriously by his supporters.
Article : The Root of all War is Fear
- 1. 1961
- 2. The Catholic Worker
- 3. That the Just War Theory had been tweaked to suit the needsof USA.. hypocritical.
Vietnam : Brief history
1.Communist North fighting capitalist south for control of Country2. Usa and Ussr supporting their own sides
Main quote from Merton on Inter-religious dialogue
"Cultural and doctrinal differenences must remain, but they do not invalidate a very real quality of existential likeness."
The POORER MEANS TO UNITY
- 1. Silence.
- 2. Fasting.
- 3. Prayer
- 4. Almsgiving
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview