Issues with Adverse Drug Reactions in the Elderly?
- Seven times more likely in elderly
- 16% of hospital admissions over 65 yrs.: Due to adverse drug rxn
- 50% of all medication-related deaths : Due to adverse drug rxn
- Elderly more likely to have:
- Confusion: More likely not to take, take wrong way, etc.
- Poor vision: Takes the wrong one(s) by mistake.
- Poor memory: Forgets to take. Need to take some kind of adaptive device to help remember when to take.
- Inappropriate dosing: Less Rx, longer interval.
- Drug-drug interactions: If taking lots of Rx, almost ensures interactions
- Polypharmacy: Multiple drugs taken together.
- Noncompliance: For all the reasons above, and also because sometimes they just don't want to.
St. John’s Wart: Increases bleeding time, interacts with lots of stuff. Something good to ask about specifically.