prenisolone (Delta-Cortef, Prednisol), prednisone (Deltasone, Meticorten), betamethasone (Celestone, Betnesol), dexamethasone (Dexon, Dalaone), hydrocortisone (Cortef, Cortifoam), methylprednisolone (Solu-cortef, Depo-Medrol, Rep-Pred)
- Used to treat conditions requiring suppression of the immune system and in Addison's disease.
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, and anti-stress effects.
- Used for replacement therapy for adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease); as immunosuppressive drugs in pot-transplant pt's; and to reduce cerebral edema associated with head trauma, neurosurgery, and brain tumors.
- acne, poor wound healing, ecchymosis, bruising, petechiae, depression, flushing, sweating, mood changes, HTN, osteoporosis, diarrhea, hemorrhage.
- NOTE These drugs can cause Cushing's syndrome. Signs of Cushing's syndrome; moon faces, edema, elevated blood glucose levels, purple straie, wt. gain, buffalo hump, & hirsutism.
- Monitor glucose levels, weigh the client daily, monitor BP & signs of infection.