Quals- Symphony- 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name three composers associated with the Empfindsamer Stil.
- CPE Bach
- WF Bach
- Georg Benda
Classicism stressed balance and design. Describe the effect on melody, phrase structure and form.
- Melodies clearly defined with regular phrase structure.
- Short, melodic motives.
- Clear cadences.
- Homophonic nature rather than primarily contrapuntal (polyphonic) like Baroque.
- Sonata concept and multimovement design of contrasting tempos.
2 characteristics of the Empfindsamer Stil.
- projects "natural" feelings into music.
- stresses change of affections (within movement)
Primary Italian and first significant symphony composer
4 pre-classical composers not associated with the Mannheim School.
- Michael Haydn
- Mozart (Leopold)
- CPE and WF Bach
6 composers active in Mannheim
- Johann Stamitz
- Karl Stamitz
- Franz Richter
- Franz Bech
- Ignaz Holzbauer
- Anton Filz
Dates of Pre-Classical Symphony
- bridge between Baroque and Classical period.
- style galante (like Rameau)
Describe the typical orchestra at the end of the 18th Century
- pairs of flutes, oboes, horns and trumpets
Describe the 3 decades of pre-classical symphony with dates.
- 1740's-borrowed French Overture and Sinfonias. 3 movements. Concert Symphonies rare.
- 1750's- borrowing continued. True concert symphonies written. Still 3 movements. Vienna and Mannheim are active.
- 1760's- disappearance of French overture and sinfonia as concert symphony surragates. 4 movements became standard.
When was the first set of symphonies published?
- These were groups of sinfonias and overtures.
- Published in London "Periodical Overtures"
Full names of JC Bach, WF Bach, CPE Bach, CF Abel.
- Johann Christian Bach
- Wilhelm Friederich Bach
- Carl Philip Emmanuel Bach
- Carl Friederich Abel
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview