Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
where is the Rhone Glacier
It is in the Swiss Alps (near the town of Gletsch in Switzerland) and is the source of the Rhone river , which flows to Lake Geneva and beyond
what are the causes of the glacier's retreat
- average global temperatures have risen by 1°C in the last 200 years this causes the glacier to melt
- the amount of snow falling has fallen significantly recently which means the rate of ablation exceeds the amount of accumulation
what is the evidence of glacial retreat
- the snout of the glacier is further upvalley
- terminal and recessional moraine are present in the valley
- the land in front of the glacier has been smoothened by plucking and also striations are present
- the glacier's mass has decreased ; not just the retreat of the snout but also its depth and width are less , meaning the sides of the valley are exposed
the Rhone Glacier has retreated ........ metres since ......
the retreat in ...... alones was nearly ..... metres
the depth of the Rhone Glacier has decreased by ..... metres since ...........
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview