Recognize explanations of the audience of Hebrews and the presenting pastoral issue (Sect. 1.1).
Are they “Hebrews”?
Jewish conceptual framework supports this understanding
Would Gentile Christians be less concerned with Jewish cultic practice than Jewish Christians?
consider Jewish practice in Galatia
Is the pressing issue a return to Temple worship?
Is the pressing issue the Day of Atonement?
Does the author use rabbinic methods of interpreting the Bible?
Are they “Gentile Christians”?
- Language of sermon
- Original “Christian” Scriptures: Septuagint (LXX) The Readers’ Early Instruction (6:1-3) Hebrews and the Pauline mission
- The Religious Experience of the Addressees 220.127.116.11 Phase 1: Conversion (Heb 2:1-4) 18.104.22.168 Phase 2: Elementary Christian teaching and formation (6:1-2, 4-5)
- Phase 3: Early Struggles and Relapse: the Disciples’ Boldness (10:32-34)
- The Lure of Ritual Purity (13.9-18)
- The Presenting Pastoral Issue
- Withdrawal of some members (Heb 10:25)
- Christian disciples and societal pressures
- Pressing Issue: The disciples’ continuing struggle with sin and their inability to fully understand and appropriate the implication of their stance before God in Christ.