BL Gas welding.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags ""
- description "For test on gas welding"
- fileName "Gas welding "
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- the pressure in a oxygen cylinder can be as high as what psi? which must be reduced to a working pressure of ? To ? Psi.
- 2200 psi. 1 to 25 psi
typically oxygen cylinders is made of what
oxygen cylinders has the capacity of what
220 cubic feet
how should acetylene cylinders be check for leaks at the valves or the safety fuse plugs
by using a soapy solution
acetylene cylinders are equipped with the safety plugs describe them to me and how they work
small holes through center. holes filled with metal alloy. metal alloys melt at 212 degrees fahrenheit or releases at 500 p s I. the hole too small for flame to back burn
what is acetone
- colorless flamable liquid.
- add it to the acetylene cylinder 40 percent of porous material is saturated.
What is porous
material located in acetylene cylinders such as balsa wood, charcoal corn pith or Portland cement. it helps to take up space and absorb acetone
acetylene becomes unstable at what psi
15 p s I
acetylene must not be drawn off in volumes greater than____? of the cylinders rated capacity
acetylene can be compressed into cylinders when dissolved in acetone at pressures up to ? Psi
what is the description of acetylene
- colorless flammable gas
- composed of carbon and hydrogen manufactured by the reaction of water and calcium carbide. slightly lighter than air
what pressure does acetylene become self explosives
29.4 p s I
outlet valves which I've been clogged with ice should be thawed how? and what should you not do?
- unclogging with warm water
- you should not use scalding water or an open flame
oxygen cylinders should be stored separate from what
- combustible materials
- minimum of 20 feet
- or by non combustible barrier at least 5 feet high. fire resistant rate for 1 half hour
what p s I do you operate acetylene and what must you have suitable
- 15 p s I
- pressure reducing regulator
how much acetylene be stored
- . up right
- . well ventilated area
- . well protected and dry
- . 20 foot from highly combustible material
- . area must not exceed of 137 degrees
- . must have valve protection caps
if acetylene cylinders have been stored horizontally what should you do
stan cylinder vertically for 45 minutes prior to using
what valve do you close first when shutting down torch
close acetylene torch valve
when opening the oxygen torch valve how far do you open it
when opening acetylene torch valve how far do you open it
when flame cutting sparks can fly how far
30 to 40 ft
when a cylinder is empty what do you mark on it
what do you use to light a torch
- . friction lighter
- . stationary pilot flames
when a torch is not in use what do you make sure
- . torch is not burning
- . release regulator
- . Bleed the hose
- . close the valve
- . don't hang the torch with its hoses on the regulator or cylinder valve
what should you do prior to ignite ing torch
purge both acetylene and oxygen lines
what kind of threads does the acetylene hose connection have
left hand threads
when necessary to blow out the acetylene hoes how do you do it
in a well ventilated place free from sparks
steel heat it from an oxy acetylene flame becomes fluid between what temperature
2450 to 2750 deg
when backhand welding the operator should have the torch and rod at what degrees to the working surface
what is oxidizing flame
- oxidizing flame is produced when slightly more than 1 volume of oxygen is mixed with 1 volume of acetylene
- . makes a hissing sound
- .temp at 6300 deg
what is a neutral flame
- approxmently 1 volume of oxygen and 1 volume of acetylene leaves you with a defined inner come
- . acetylene streamer (feather) 1/16 to 1/8
welding may be divided into 2 general classfications what are they
oxy acetylene welding is what classifications
what do you use to lubricate the valves
what are the 2 methods of gas welding
how many safety plugs are on the acetylene
What should you do before attachment the pressure regulator to the acetylene bottle
Open each acetylene cylinder valve for an instant to blow dirt out the nozzles..
When opening the cylinder valve how fast do you open it and why do you open it that way
- Reasoned is because you need to avoid strain on the regulator gage.
If a acetylene cylinder is leaking around the safety fuse plug what should you do
- Take cylinder out side
- Open slightly to permit the content to escape
Should you store oxygen cylinders around oil or grease
acetylene can compressed into cylinders when dissolved in acetone at pressures up to what psi
most oxygen cylinders have a capacity of what cubic feet? at the pressure of what psi? and a temperature of?
- 220 cubic feet
- 2000 psi
- 70 degrees
Acetylene cylinders should be reduced to a working pressure of?
1 to 12.psi
on the cylinder regulator what must be installed between the hose and the regulator.
what is a creeping regulator
What should you do if there is a leak between the regulator and the nozzle.
Must be replaced immediately to avoid damage or injuries
What is oew
Oxyfuel gas welding
Joint edges 1/4th should be?
Plate thickness of 3/4th in should be?
What are some characteristics of a carburizing flame
- Inner come has a feathery edge extending beyond it
- White feather is called the acetylene feather
If the acetylene feather is twice as long as the inner come...what is that also known as
oxidizing flame has a temp of ?
5 basic joints
4 position of welding
Temp of neutral flame
Temp of pure burning acetylene
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview