SAT Vocab 8
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- (n) seriousness
- The president's serious reply indicated the gravity of the situation.
- (v) to praise highly
- The recuiter extolled the military experience.
- (adj) pleasant in sound
- Spanish is a euphonious language and therefore easily sung.
- (n) harsh discordance of sound
- Oddly enough, some people seem to enjoy the cacophony of an orchestra that is tuning up.
- (adj) severely strict
- Austere demeanor was characteristic of the Puritans.
- (v) to hasten; speed up the process of
- Our emergency order will be expedited so it will arrive was soon as possible.
- (n) opinion different from the majority belief
- Your remarks about the service are pure heresy.
- (adj) new
- His novel ideas heled him rise to a high position quickly.
- (n) the act of performing charitable actions
- The millionaire was respected because of his philanthropy.
- (n) barbarian; someone who is guided by materialism
- We need more men of culture and enlightenment; we have too many philistines among us.
- (n) a hiding place
- The detective followed the suspect until he led them to the cache where he had stored his loot.
- (adj) uncertain
- We made tentative plans for our vacation well in advance.
- (n) courteous regard
- In deference to his desires, the employers granted him a holiday.
- (n) great passion
- The fervor of his cause was obvious in his spirited speech to his followers; he was far from dispassionate.
- (adj) practical; realistic
- He was not impressed by theory-- he wanted pragmatic results.
- (adj) strict in morals/religion
- Monks lead an ascetic life.
- (adj) having deep meaning
- The Human Comedy is a simply-written yet profound book.
- (adj) asserting opinions in an arrogant manner
- Don't be so dogmatic about that statement; it can be refuted easily.
- (adj) intending to teach a moral lesson
- The didactic qualities of his poetry overshadow its literary qualities; the lesson he teaches is more memorable than the lines.
- (n) lack of similarity; difference
- The disparity in their ages made no difference at all.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview