The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
how much $ were texans claiming against the mexican military?
in late 1845 which president sent reps to mx city to try to buy cali? how much did they offer
in jan. 1846 who did pres. polk sent ____ w/ ___ many troops to march from ____ river to the _____ river to check for mex. soldiers on texas soil.
- general zachary taylor
- rio grande
after finding no mex. soldiers in late may 1846 ____ told his cabient he was asking for a ______ of ______ based on the $____ _____ in damages. later that same evening mx. soldiers ____ w/ ____'s troops in texas. ______ voted to goto war.
- declartion of war
- 3 mill
- general taylor
the war w/ mexico lasted...
summer 1846 to febuary 1848
battles and their leaders:
_____ - battle of santa fe
zach taylor - ________
______ - mexico city
john fremont - _____ aka _____
- stephen kearny
- north mexico
- winfred scott
- california independence "bear flag rebellion"
peace w/ mexico, treaty of _______
US paid ___ for ____ of ___ ____
- gaudalupe hidalgo
- $15 mill
- northern mexico
mexico war results in:
- 1/3 increas in US size
- combat expeirence prior to civil war
- increased respect for military
what technology increased immigration from germany and ireland?
steamship b/c trip lasted 10 to 12 days
mid 1840s the _____ ____ in ireland led to ___ of population starving.
which immigrants had more money and where did they move?
what were 4 major issues of the crisis of 1850?
- 1 territory gained in war w/ mex slave or free?
- 2 cali petitioned congress to enter as free
- 3 texas claimed santa fe
- 4 DC had largest slave market in n. america
5 provisions of the compromise of 1850
- 1 tx wouldnt claim santa fe, but given 10 mil to pay debt to mexico
- 2 new mexico nevada utah and arizona would not mention slavery. it would be decided by locals when applying for statehood
- 3 no DC slave trade
- 4 cali admitted as free state
- 5 fugitive slave act passed
what did they fugitive slave law say?
- deny trail by jury to runaway slaves
- deny of fleeing slaves right to testify
- imprisonment for ppl helping runaway slaves
reaction to fugitive slave laws..
- passed personal liberty laws
- 'if u present urself as free then theres no reason to beleive otherwise'