The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Plankton that drift and are carried with ocean currents are
These exhibit swimming behavoir, although may be limited in scope, with a "planktonic" distribution
Primitive shrimp that is different because it has exposed gills.
One of the most populous animals on earth
Why are the subtropics considered most diverse, despite having the least primary productivity?
Go deep during the day and come up to feed at night
A mesolagic, midwater fish with photopores..largest population of vertebrates on the planet
Myctophids: lantern fish
What is MOCNESS and who was it developed by?
- Multiple opening and closing net environmental sampling system
- Peter Wiebe
Who had the video plankton recorder?
Davis and Gallager
Area of circle net
pi r squared
area x velocity x tow time
Comfort distances of individuals in a school
Visual interaction distance
Bakun’s Red fish/Blue fish hypothesis:
- Obligations to remain in
- schools shift fish populations towards different geographic locations based on metapopulation
- density within schools.
- •The Bakun hypothesis states that an over harvested
- stock will start to develop an affinity
- to other stocks to maintain schooling behavior. This then can shift populations and change
- gene flow.
- This can even involve inter-specific
- interactions: anchovies and sardines
- Fish make use of their
- ability to migrate as schools to exploit changes in mesoscale
- habitat linked to larger scale climate variations.