- Description: Oxytocin is a naturally occurring hormone that causes the uterus to contract, thereby inducing labor, encouraging delivery of the placenta, and controlling postpartum hemorrhage.
- Indications: severe postpartum hemorrhage.
- Contraindications: Hypersensitivity, prehospital administration before delivery of infant/infants.
- Precautions: Before delivery may induce uterine rupture and fetal dysrhythmias, hypertension, intracranial bleeding, or asphyxia. Uterine tone, ECG, and vital signs should be monitored during administration.
- Dosage/Route: 3 - 10 units IM after delivery of placenta. 10 - 20 units in 1,000 mL in D5W or NS IV titrated to effect.