HR Chap 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the projected future diverse workforce by the year 2050
The labor force will exponentially grow approximately 6% annual growth rate from 05-2050 reflects a projected population of 422.6 million and labor force participation of 60.4 percent by 2050.
Describe diversity and diversity management
Diversity refers to any perceived difference among people: age race religion, functional specialty, profession, sexual orientation, geographic origin, lifestyle, tenure with the organization or posiion and any other perceived differences
- DM- is ensuring that factors are in place to provide for and encourage the continued development of a diverse workforce by melding these actual and perceived differences among wkers to achieve max productivity.
- If organizations want to remain competitive in the market place, diversity has to be a part of strategic goal.
Explain the various components of the diverse workforce.
- 10 stragetic bullets of diverse workforceSingle Parents w wking mothers
- Women in Business
- Mothers returning to the workforce
- Dual-career family
- Workers of Color
- Older Workers
- People w Disabilities
- Foreign Workers
- Young persons with limited Education or Skills
- Although Legislation encouraged to tap workforce to tap the abilities of diversity the concept of equal employment opportunity has undergone modification and fine tuning since the passage of Equal Pay Act 1963. equal employment opportunity has been a long way since the 60's continuing efforts are required because some problems still exist.
Identify the major laws affecting equal employment opportunity
- Civil Rights Act 1866-Oldest federal law affecting staffing based on 13th amendment states All citizens have the same right as to white citizens.
- Civil Rights Act 1963 Fair Labor Standard Act prohibits an employer from paying an employee of one gender less money than an employee of opposite gender, if both employees do work that is substantially the same
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009- 2007 Supreme courct said discrimination charges must be filed within 180 days after alleged discriminatory pay has occured. In order to reverse decision Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act was passed by Congress in 2009. The law creates a rolling open time from for filing wage discrimination claims.
Comparable Worth Determination of the values of disimilar jobs (such as a company nurse and welder) by comparing them under some form of job evaluation, and the assignment of pay rates according to their evaluated worth. Supreme Court has ruled the law does not require comparable worth, on the state and local level.
Identify some of the major Supreme Court decision that have had an impact on equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Griggs v. Duke Power Company employees had to have a High School Education Courts were in favor of Duke
- Phillips v Martin Marietta Corp descriminated against women because they had young children. Courts favored Phillips not HR cant ask questions in interviewing: are you married, how many children do they have, does your husband work?
- Affirmative Action
- University of CA Regents v. Bakke - first case involving reverse discrimination. Courts reaffirmed that race may be taken into account in admission decision.
- Adarand Contractors v. Pena contractor gave contractors bonus if they hired minority subcontractors. White contactor challenged the policy because of the lowest bid
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview