Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Acute, time-limited event expereinced as over whelming emotional reaction
Crisis is self ......
self- limiting (4-6 wks)
What are the types of crisis??
What is Maturational Crisis??
Related to identified developmental stages occuring throughout life
- •Each new stage requires new coping mechanisms
- •Marriage, birth of a child, retirement
What is Situational Crisis??
–Arises from external rather than internal source; usually unanticipated
- •Loss of job, death of loved one, change in financial status, divorce
What is Adventitious Crisis
- –Crisis or disaster not part of everyday life
- –Arise from
•Natural disaster (floods, fires, earthquakes)
•National disaster (acts of terrorism, war, riots, airplane crashes)
•Crime of violence (rape, assault, murder in workplace/school, bombing in crowded areas, abuse)
Describe Phase 1 of Crisis
person is confronted by conflict or problem that threatens self-concept and causes anxiety
What is Phase 2 of Crisis
if usual defensive response fails and threat persists, anxiety continues to rise
What is phase 3 of Crisis
if trial-and-error attempts fail, anxiety can escalate to panic levels
What is phase 4 of Crisis
- •if problem is not solved and new coping
- skills are ineffective, anxiety can overwhelm person
- –Serious personality disorganization, depression, confusion, violence
- against self/other can occur
What is the Ultamite goal in Crisis??
Ultimate goal is to keep pt safe and getting them back to a precrisis