Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Active listening is a full attempt to comprehend the content and context of a conversation while registering all verbal and non verbal cues.
- Attending - good eye contact, head nods, appropriate gestures/posture and facial expressions
- Avoids unnecessary interruptions
- Hears and acknowledges the emotion behind words
- provides feedback - paraphrases, mirror, repeats
- Poor/no listening, Marginal Listening, Evaluative listening
- Forms inferences, opinions or assumptions instead of listening to and establishing the facts
- regularly or inappropriately interrupts
- poor feedback
- struggles to comprehend and or verball communicate effectively
- Empathy is the abilitiy to comprehend and convey understanding of the feelings of another 'putting yourself in someone elses shoes'.
- Provides reassurrance and support
- Effective use of eye contact, posture and facial expressions
- Good use of paralanguage - Tone, pitch, speed and volume
- Self disclosure if appropriate
- Over sympathetic
- Inappropraite eye contact, posture, facial expressions
- poor paralanguage
- struggles to comprehend and or verbally communicate effectively
- Assertiveness is the use of correct, clear, confident language that is neither aggressive nor threatening. Deciding what is negotiable while sticking to an established bottom line.
- Focuses upon what is relevan, establishes their goal and what is not negotiable, sticks to their bottom line, and treats others with appropriate respect.
- Tending towards being passive (TIMID, UNSURE) or aggressive (INAPPROPRIATE YELLIN, MANIPULATION, THREATS OR USE OF FORCE)
- Does not control ego
- Becomes argumentative and or unreaasonable,
- Buys in on irrelevant issues
- Fails to stick to a bottom line
- Rapport is building a positive relationship with someone based on common ground.
- Allowing others to have their say
- Displaying empathy and a sense of understanding
- Using self disclosure if applicable
- Making assumptions, or having a prejudice towards someone
- Not allowing someone to have their say
- Excessive use of force