Nursing philosophy: what is nursing philosophy, 2 nursing philosophies, what is a paradigm, 2 paradigms
- All research is built upon philosophical beliefs &
- assumptions (worldviews or paradigms) about the world.
: system of motivating values, concepts, principles, and the nature of human knowledge of an individual, group, or culture
is a Greek word that means pattern. This word has been applied to science to describe the way people in society think about the world
- Two nursing philosophies
- -ontology: study of being, existence, & its relationship to non-existence
- ie: An example is a tree. Such a thing for me exists
- -epistomology: knowledge/what is truth or reality
How do I know a tree is?
I see it, feel its trunk & leaves, smell its flowers, have seen it before, people tell me about it, & I read about it. I have knowledge of what something is to be a tree.
- Two paradigms