Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is the definition of personality? What are psychologists studying personality trying to learn?
Psychologist studying personality are studying how people differ: why they behave differently when exposed to the same situation
What is the difference between states and traits?
- States are temporary conditions. (tired, drunk, good/bad mood)
- Traits are lasting dispositions to behave in a particular way in many situations
What are some examples of states?
(tired, drunk, good/bad mood)
What are some examples of traits?
What are some differences between how we explain our own behavior, and how we explain other people’s behavior?
- We explain other people’s behavior as a product of their personalities
- Ex. “He’s an insensitive person”
- We explain our own behavior in terms of states and satiations
- Ex. “ I was tired and didn’t realize
What are two explanations for the Actor-Observer Bias?
1. The one who acts have special knowledge of his/her experiences up to that moment, and of his/her own motives.
2 We find causes where we focus our attention
What measurement technique helps personality psychologists to be sure that they’re not just measuring temporary states?
Test-retest reliability indicates that a personality is not just measuring temporary states
What are the Big Five Personality Traits? How do people with high scores on each of the Big Five trait dimensions behave?
- Neuroticism (negative emotionality)
- Anxious, insecure, vulnerable, self- conscious, guilt prone
- Talkative, sociable, fun-loving and affectionate.
- Openness to experience
- Curiosity, creativity, flexibility, daring , broad interests, artistic sensitivity, unconventional attitudes
- Ethical, dependable, productive, purposeful ( if you say something they’ll do it)
- Cooperative, modest, straightforward, sympathetic, and trusting
What are some possible additions to the list of the most basic traits?
- - Activity Level