- 1. an act or instance of condescending.
- 2. behavior that is patronizing or condescending.
- 3. voluntary assumption of equality with a person regarded as inferior.
- ready or inclined to fight; He displayed a most unpleasant, combative attitude.
- noun ( used with a singular or plural verb )
- 1. the branch of military science and operations dealing with the procurement, supply, and maintenance of equipment, with the movement, evacuation, and hospitalization of personnel, with the provision of facilities and services, and with related matters.
- 2. the planning, implementation, and coordination of the details of a business or other operation.
- counter to what intuition would lead one to expect:
- The direction we had to follow was counterintuitive—we had to go north first before we went south.
- 1. having cognizance; aware (usually followed by of ): He was cognizant of the difficulty.
- 2. having legal cognizance.