The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- In order of time
- In consecutive time
- The measurment of time or the ordering of events
- The arrangement of events or dates in order of their occurence
- A phrase that is so common that the novelty has worn off
- Overused phrase
- Informal, suitable for everyday speech
- Language that is used in an ordinary conversation
- Solid, Physical not theoretical or abstract
- A material existing in a physical form
- Impied or additional meaning for a word or phrase.
- These meanings are often subjective
- A hint or implication of a word
A concustion reached by logic or reasoning, or by examining all the available information
The explicit or direct meaning or set of meanings of a word or expression
- Is not physical, and is not concrete
- Abstract is ideas and emotions
A story, or visual image with a second distinct meaning. (Double Meaning)
- Comparing one thing to another thing
- Comparing a similarity among two things
- Brief story of an interesting incident
- Goes straight to the point
Actions that take place before the story lines open
A contrast or opposition of ideas
Ex. Hot Cold, Short Tall, Many are called but few are chosen
A speech addressed to a dead or absent person or an abstract object
Belonging to an earlier time. Words or expressions that have passed out of use are archaic
- Narrative Poem that tells a story
- Often about Love, Honor and Courage.
- Ballads were once songs and often have strong rhythm and plain rhyme schemes
Is written in Unrhymed iambic pentameter
- Harsh sound or discordance
- Dissonance can be emotional or intellectual.
A long poem that is often about a heroic character.
A final address to the audience, often delivered by a characer in the drama
- A literary genre.
- As a rule, fantasy contains events, characters, or settings that would not be possible or found in real life.
A techniques whereby an event or incident is indicated beforehand when the author includes hints or clues about the main events of a story.
A figure of speech that uses exaggeration for effect. Like a metaphor, it is not intended to deceive.
Language that evokes sensory impressions