Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Difference between the Utilitarian and Aesthetic justifications for music education.
Utilitarian- music education is justified for reasons outside of its own value, like its ability to create good citizens (Plato, progressivism) and other benefits like those listed by Lowell Mason 1838 to get music in schools for the first time in Boston (Intellectual, physical, spiritual).
Aesthetic- music for its own sake, valued for what it uniquely has to offer (Reimer, Britton, Leonhard, Schwadron). Music education as aesthetic education.
5 Important works on Music Education Philosophy
- Plato, Protagoras
- Reimer's, A Philosophy of Music EducationColwell edited, Basic Concepts of Music Education IIReimer & Wright, On the Nature of Musical Experience
- 57th yearbook (Basic Concepts in Music Education, 1958) and 91st yearbook by NSSE- The Arts, Education, and Aesthetic Knowing (ed. Riemer & Smith)
- Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences
- Co-director of Project Zero
- Believed there are several different, relatively autonomous human intelligences (or frames of mind) that can work alone or in combination.
- Believed "nothing is intelligent or not-intelligent by itself"- is intelligent if it "leads to some kind of problem solving or product making activity that's valued."
What were the 7 original primary intelligences listed by Garnder in Frames of Mind?
(LMLSBII) Lazy monkeys sleep lopsidedly before invading igloos.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview