Card Set Information
combining or involving two or more academic disciplines or fields of study
understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest
known or understood by very few; mysterious; secret; obscure; esoteric
capable of holding much; spacious or roomy
mental and emotional strength in facing difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation courageously
1. favorable to or promoting health; healthful.
2. promoting or conducive to some beneficial purpose; wholesome.
1.disposed to be silent or not to speak freely; reserved.
2. reluctant or restrained.
1. the act of intimating, or making known indirectly.
2. a hint; suggestion
: The death of his father was his first intimation of mortality.
counter to what intuition would lead one to expect
1. not religious; not practicing a religion and feeling no religious impulses or emotions.
2. showing or characterized by a lack of religion.
3. showing indifference or hostility to religion
: irreligious statements.
1.Ophthalmology . pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
2. unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
3. lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.
the state or capacity of being everywhere, especially at the same time; omnipresence
of or pertaining to knowledge or the conditions for acquiring it.
incapable of being evaded; inescapable: an ineluctable destiny.
1. to remain; continue; stay
: Abide with me.
2. to have one's abode; dwell; reside
: to abide in a small Scottish village.
3. to continue in a particular condition, attitude, relationship, etc.; last.
1. a building, especially one of large size or imposing appearance.
2. any large, complex system or organization.
1. an expression of a general truth or principle, especially an aphoristic or sententious one
2. a principle or rule of conduct.
1.having bounds or limits; not infinite; measurable.
2. subject to limitations or conditions, as of space, time, circumstances, or the laws of nature:
1. the range of operation, authority, control, concern, etc.
2. the range of vision, insight, or understanding.
3. Law .
a. that which is provided or enacted in a statute, as distinguished from the preamble.
b. the purpose or scope of a statute.
4. the full scope or compass of any document, statement, subject, book, etc.
of, pertaining to, or characterized by sudden or rash action, emotion, etc.; impulsive:
having many aspects or phases
(of a biological process) made to occur in a laboratory vessel or other controlled experimental environment rather than within a living organism or natural setting.
(of a biological process) occurring or made to occur within a living organism or natural setting.
to disclaim knowledge of, connection with, or responsibility for; disown; repudiate:
required or necessary for a particular purpose, position, etc.; indispensable:
beginning to exist or develop
the study and development of synthetic systems that mimic the formation, function, or structure of biologically produced substances and materials and biological mechanisms and processes.
to make lucid or clear; throw light upon; explain
having no inherent power of action, motion, or resistance
(of a tissue or embryo) to develop or extend blood vessels or other fluid-bearing vessels or ducts; become vascular.
a tissue or organ obtained from one member of a species and grafted to a genetically dissimilar member of the same species.
a tissue or organ that is grafted into a new position on the body of the individual from which it was removed.
causing or capable of producing an immune response.
the proportion of sickness or of a specific disease in a geographical locality.
of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before
the act of acquiring or gaining possession
to say or do again or repeatedly; repeat, often excessively.
a sharp division, as of a population or group, into opposing factions.
1.strong disagreement; a contention or quarrel; discord.
2. difference in sentiment or opinion; disagreement.
1. the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
2. an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
the origin and development of an organ.
1.in a raw or unprepared state; unrefined or natural
: crude sugar.
2. lacking in intellectual subtlety, perceptivity, etc.; rudimentary; undeveloped.
3. lacking finish, polish, or completeness:
cells of mesodermal origin that are capable of developing into connective tissues, blood, and lymphatic and blood vessels.
the middle germ layer of a metazoan embryo.
outer germ layer in the embryo of a metazoan.
Also called endoblast.
. the innermost cell layer of the embryo in its gastrula stage.
the layer of extraembryonic ectoderm that chiefly nourishes the embryo or develops into fetal membranes with nutritive functions.
the formation of blood
a type of epithelium composed of a single layer of smooth, thin cells that lines the heart, blood vessels, lymphatics, and serous cavities.
Antigenic similarities such that cells or tissue transplanted from one to another are not rejected
combined action or functioning
a combining form meaning “new,” “recent,” “revived,” “modified,” used in the formation of compound words:
from the same organism
an example serving as a model; pattern
proceeding from within; derived internally.