Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Classes of Lipoproteins Used in Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Very Low Density Lipoproteins (VLDL)
Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) Cholesterol
- --Greatest contributor to CAD
- High Density Lipoproteins (HDL) Cholesterol
Some folks are genetically predisposed to metabolizing LDL and VLDL--> high cholesterol--> ^risk of CAD
Cholesterol lab values
- Total cholesterol< 200 mg/dl—desirable
- > 240 mg/dl—high risk
HDL cholesterol< 35 mg/dl—low. Should be ~50-60mg/dl
LDL cholesterol< 130 mg/dl—desirable
- levels above 200 mg/dL = Undesirable
- Nicotinic acid and fibrates help lower TG levels
NI's for all cholesterol drugs
- Monitor lipid levels
- emphasize importance of dietary modificaiton in addition to Rx therapy.
- help establish appropriate exercise program because exercise->v cholesterol.
- this is life-long... encourage adherence to therapeutic regimen.
- Bring up dead family members who died of stroke/heart attack, CAD, etc. to help motivate pt
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview