The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What year was SPEED fielded as a HardWare and SoftWare system?
What is the frequency range that SPEED analysis support?
There are two ways the functions in SPEED can be accessed. What are they?(Think in terms of using the computer)
A SPEED run consists of what four things?
- A complete description of the communications scenario including exact placement of military units
- Radios and antennas
- Operating frequencies
- User annotations
Which mapping data systems are stored for use in the United States?
High frequency communications are acheived via what two modes? (Think in terms of propagation)
In order for a communications link to be called a "NET" there is something that must be established. What is it? (Think in terms of "net management")
- A net is defined as a grouping of radios communicating on the same frequency. Each net is managed by a Net Control Station (NCS).
The HFCP portion of SPEED provides an analysis of something. What does it analyze and what is the time period it analyzes?
- Skywave and Groundwave propagation Analysis.
- S/N Prediction (24-hours) and Evaluation.
What are the factors that directly affect Signal to Noise link margins?
- Transmitted power
- Antenna gain at the optimum signal takeoff angle
- Background and atmospheric noise at the receiver site
When performing a single link analysis, if you desire to change the frequency this must be done two places. Where are the two places?
- To change a single link frequency, both radios frequencies must be changes using the Modify Unit menu item on the SPP map.
What is the purpose of the Systems Planning, Engeneering, and Evaluation Device (SPEED)?
- Provide rapid communications planning and support for maneuver warfare in rapidly changing tactical environments.
What are the capabilities of SPEED?
Perform RF link analysis and engineering, provide commanders with situational awareness, and facilitate more accurate communications planning.(Rephrase of paragraph on 1-2)
What mapping software does SPEED currently use?
- The SPEED Path Profiler (SPP)
SPEED is authorized for use on what networks?
- Both the NIPRNET and the SIPRNET.
What is the distance spacing and percentage of earth coverage for SRTM level 1?
- 90 meters 80% Earth coverage.
What is the minimum mapping data that is required to do an analysis in SPEED?
DTED is required for SPEED to perform all of its analysis except for HF Skywave.
What is the SPEED Path Profiler (SPP)?
- The SPP is a user friendly, map-based interface that controls SPEED's analysis applications, manages the common data for these applications.
- The SPP also controls the merge function, resource reports, print banners, environmental variables, all of the mapping features and options, and the different toolbars and help menus.
When planning for HF communications you generally plan for 24 hour coverage. This generally requires requesting how many frequencies? What are they commonly referred to as?
- At a minimum, two frequencies, one for daytime and one for nighttime, are normally required. A third frequency for transition periods (morning/evening) may also be requested.
What is the purpose of the HF propagation analysis? What are the three things it predicts?
- Provide automated capabilities that can be used to plan, analyze, and visualize HF communications circuits that are highly dependent on the time of day, season, year, and solar activity.
- Netwide MUF, LUF, and FOT predictions.
True / False: You must have mapping data to perform an HF Skywave Analysis.
What is the distance spacing and percentage of earth coverage for DTED level 1?
- 90 meters 80% Earth coverage.
What is the distance spacing and percentage of earth coverage for DTED level 2?
- 30 meters 30% Earth coverage.
What is the distance spacing and percentage of earth coverage for SRTM level 2?
- 30 meters 80% Earth coverage.
If SPEED were to provide you a "User Message", where would it be found?
- In the User Message Dialog under the Object Explorer.
What agency would you contact to obtain mapping data for SPEED?
What is the purpose of the SPEED Objects menu?
- The Objects menu allows the user to:
- Put Systems
- Set Default Environments
- Edit Systems
- Place Mil Units
- Create Radio Nets
- View Resource Reports