The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the FM concerning the M16/A2 Rifle?
What is the first thing you should do when you handle a weapon?
Make sure you clear it
Name the five phases in Basic Rifle Marksmanship.
- 1. Preliminary Rifle Instruction
- 2. Downrange Feedback
- 3. Field Fire
- 4. Advanced Rifle Marksmanship
- 5. Advanced Optics, Laser and Iron Sights
What is the purpose of a weaponeer?
The weaponeer is capable of simulating all of the BRM live fire scenarios without firing rounds
What are the four fundamentals of marksmanship?
- 1. Steady Position
- 2. Proper Aim (Sight Picture)
- 3. Breathing
- 4. Trigger Squeeze(FM 3-22.9
During Preliminary Marksmanship Training (PMI), what are the only two positions taught?
- 1. Individual Foxhole supported
- 2. Basic Prone unsupported
- (FM 3-22.9
What are the two basic elements of the Sight Picture?
- 1. Sight Alignment
- 2. Placing of the Aiming Point(FM 3-22.9
What does the acronym SPORTS stand for?
Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap and Shoot(FM 3-22.9
What is remedial action?
Remedial action is the continuing effort to determine the cause for a stoppage ormal function and to try to clear thestoppage once it has been identified.(FM 3-22.9
What is immediate action?
Immediate action involves quickly applying a possible correction to reduce a stoppage without performingtroubleshooting procedures to determine the actual cause.(SPORTS)(FM 3-22.9
Describe the proper procedures for applying remedial action with the M16/A2.
- 1. Try to place the weapon on safe
- 2. Remove the magazine
- 3. Lock the bolt to the rear
- 4. Place the weapon on safe if not already done(FM 3-22.9
Describe the proper procedure for applying immediate action with the M16/A2.
- 1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
- 2. Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
- 3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, performremedial action.)
- 4. Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
- 5. Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
- 6. Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.(FM 3-22.9
Is SPORTS an Immediate or Remedial Action?
immediate action (FM 3-22.9
How many times should immediate action be applied to a weapon?
once (If Rifle still fails to fire, apply remedial action) FM 3-22.9
Name the different categories of malfunctions on the M16/A2.
1. Failure to feed, chamber or lock2. Failure to fire cartridge3. Failure to Extract4. Failure to Eject (FM 3-22.9
What is stoppage?
The failure of a firearm to complete the cycle of fire (Fm3-22.9
How do you clear a stoppage?
Apply immediate or remedial action (FM 3-22.9
What is the definition of Maximum Effective Range?
The greatest distance at which a soldier may be expected to deliver a target hit. (FM 3-22.9
What does CLP stand for?
Describe the M16/A2 Rifle
A 5.56 mm, magazine fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic or three-round burst, hand-held, shoulder-firedweapon.
Describe the weights of the M16/A2 Rifle.
Without Magazine and Sling - 7.78 poundsWith Sling and a loaded 20 round magazine - 8.48 poundsWith Sling and a loaded 30 round magazine - 8.79 pounds (FM 3-22.9
Describe the max effective rates of fire for the M16/A2 Rifle.
Semiautomatic - 45 rounds per minuteBurst - 90 rounds per minuteSustained - 12-15 rounds per minute (FM 3-22.9
What is the muzzle velocity of the M16/A2 Rifle?
3,100feet per second (FM 3-22.9
Describe the ranges for the M16/A2 Rifle.
- Maximum Range - 3,600 meters
- Max Effective Range for a Point Target - 550 meters
- Max Effective Range for an Area Target - 800 meters
- (FM 3-22.9
Describe the Barrel Rifling for the M16/A2 Rifle.
Right hand twist 1/7 (FM 3-22.9
What is the basic load of ammunition for the M16/A2 Rifle?
210 rounds total 7 30 round magazines (FM 3-22.9
What is the overall length of the M16/A2 Rifle?
What are the 8 steps in the functioning of the M16/A2 rifle?
- 1. Feeding
- 2. Chambering
- 3. Locking
- 4. Firing
- 5. Unlocking
- 6. Extract ing
- 7. Ejecting
- 8. Cocking(FM 3-22.9
Describe the procedures for clearing the M16/A2 Rifle.
Point the muzzle in a designated SAFE DIRECTION. Attempt to place selector lever on SAFE. If weapon is notcocked, lever cannot be placed on SAFE.Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine catch button and pulling the magazine down.To lock bolt open,pull charging handle rearward. Press bottom of bolt catch and allow bolt to move forward untilit engages bolt catch. Return charging handle to full forward position. If you have not done so before, place theselector lever on SAFE.Visually (not physically) inspect the receiver and chamber to ensure these areas contain no ammo.With the select or lever pointing toward SAFE, allow the bolt to go forward by pressing the upper portion of thebolt catch.Place the select or lever on SEMI and squeeze the trigger.Pull the charging handle fully rearward and release it, allowing the bolt to return to the full forward position.Place the select or lever on SAFE.Close the ejection port cover.(FM 3-22.9