Intro to Carbs
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are CHO composed of?
Carbon, Hydrogen, and oxygen in the form of simple chos or sugars
Where do cho come from? (source)
What process allows plants to capture energy from the sun and chemically strore as CHO?
Where can we get cho?
grains fruits vegetables
What is the recommended daily intake of CHO?
- 45 - 65% of daily kcal intake
- *minimum of 130g/day
Health benefits of eating carbs
-decreased risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers
What are the 3 sizes of chos?
Examples of Monosaccharides
Examples of Diasaccharides
Examples of Polysaccharides
- -glycogon (storage form in liver and muscles)
Monosaccharides and Disaccharides are classified as:
Polysaccharides are classified as:
Functions of Carbs:
- -provide energy, fiber and naturally occurring sweeteners
- -most efficient form of energy
- -protein-sparing effect of carbs allows protein to be used for building and repart
When glucose levels are inadequate and fat is used as energy, what is the biproduct?
The process of breaking down glucose
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview