A+ flash cards Deluxe6.txt
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
1. What is the Desktop? a. the top of the desk b. a tool that keeps track of all the data on disk c. where all of a computers memory is stored d. the virtual desk on which all of your programs and utilities run
D. by default.
2. The screensaver can be changed in the (blank) dialog box. a. display properties b. taskbar c. menu bar d. shortcut menu
A. The screensave can be changed in the display properties dialog box.
3. The taskbar can be increased in size by (blank) a. right clicking the mouse and dragging the Taskbar to make it bigger. b. Left clicking the mouse and double clicking the Taskbar c. Moving the mouse pointer to the top of the Taskbar, pausing until the pointer turns into a double headed arrow, and then cliking and dragging d. Highlighting the Taskbar and double clicking in the center.
C. You can increase the Taskbar's size by moving the mouse pointer to the top of the Taskbar, pausing until the pointer turns into a double headed arrow, and then clicking and dragging. Keep in mind that in Windows XP, you have to unlock the Taskbar first by right clicking on it and deselecting Lock The Taskbar.
4. Which of the following file attributes are available to files on a FAT32 partition? a. hidden, read only, archive, system b. compression, hidden, archive, encryption, read only c. read only, hidden, system, encryption d. indexing, read only, hidden, system, compression
A. FAT32 does not have as many options as NTFS, such as Encryption and compression.
5. The Windows Explorer program can be used to do which of the following(Choose all that apply.) a. browse the internet b. copy and move files. c. change file attributes d. create backup jobs.
B,C. The Windows Explorer program can be used to copy and move files and to change file attributes
6. Standard permissions are (blank) A. the same as special permissions B. Only the Read, Write, and Execute permissions C. Permissions assigned to users but not to groups. D. Permissions grouped together for easy assignment
D. standard permissions, unlike special permissions, have been grouped together to make it easier for administrators to assign permissions
7. Virtual memory is configured through which system tool? a. taskbar b. system control panel c. memory manager d. virtual configuration
B. Virtual memory settings are accessed through the Performance tab or area of the Systems control panel.
8. If a program doesnt have a shortcut on the Desktop or in the programs submenu, you can start it by (blank). a. using the Shut Down command b. typing cmd in the start run box c. Using the Run command and typing in the name of the program d. typing cmd in the start box followed by the program name
C. To run any program, select Start> Run and type the name of the program in the Open field.
9. What can you do if a program is not responding to any commands and appears to be locked up? a. Open the System control panel and choose Performance to see what process is causing the problem. b. Add more memory c. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del ot reboot the computer. d. Open the Task Manager, select the appropriate task, and click End Task.
D. You can use Task Manager to deal with applications that have stopped responding
10. In Windows, a deleted file can be retrieved using which of the following? a. My Computer icon b. Recycle Bin C. control panel d. settings panel
B. All deleted files are placed in the Recycle Bin.
11. To turn off a Windows 2000 machine, you should (blank) A. Run the Shut Down command at a command prompt. b. Turn off the switch and unplug the machine. c. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. d. Select Start>Shut Down, choose shutdown, and turn off the computer.
D. To turn off a Windows 2000 machine, select Start > Shut Down, choose Shut Down, and turn off the computer.
12. Which type of resource do you configure in Device Manager? A. Hardware B. Files and folders C. Applications D Memory
A. Device Manager is used in Windows to configure all hardware resources that Windows knows about.
13. To back up the files on your disks in Windows, which Windows program can you use? a. Disk Management B. Backup C. My Computer D. Windows doesn't come with a backup program.
B. The Backup utility is provided with all versions of Windows, but it has different levels of funtionality in the different versions.
14. Which of the following files bootstraps Windows XP? a. NTLDR b. BOOT.INI c. BOOTStRAP.EXE D NTBOOTDD.SYS
A. The NTLDR file bootstraps the system(is the initial file that starts the operating system) and in turn loads the BOOT.INI file. There is no file called BOOTSTRAP.EXE.
15. Which of the following partitions is specifically the partition from which the operating system boots? A. Primary partition B. Extended partition C. Active partition D. Logical partition
C. The OS boots from the active partition. Active partitions must be primary partitions, but a primary partition does not have to be active(as there can be up to four primary partitions per hard drive)
16. Which of the following Registry hives contains information about the computers hardware? A. HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE B. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE C. HKEY_MACHINE D. HKEY_RESOURCES
B. There are five basic hives in the Windows Registry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKEY_USERS, AND HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE stores information about the computer's hardware. **HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE, HKEY_MACHINE, AND HKEY_RESOURCES do not exist**
17. Within Windows 2000, what is the maximum length of a filename? a. 8 characters plus a 3 character extension b. 64 characters c. 255 characters d. unlimited
C. In Windows 2000 (and XP/Vista), filenames can be no longer than 255 characters. Under DOS, files were limited by the 8.3 standard of 8 characters plus a 3 character file extension.
18. Which of the following utilities will rearrange the files on your hard disk to occupy contiguous chunks of space? a. disk defragmenter b. windows explorer c. scandisk d. windows backup
A. Windows Disk Defragmenter rearranges files on you hard disk so they occupy contiguous spaces(as much as possible). Windows Explorer lets you view and manage files but not manage their location on the physical hard disk. Scandisk will check the hard drive for errors, and Windows Backup backs up files but does not manage their physical location.
19. Which of the following is the name of the graphical interface included with Windows Vista? a. start b. aero c. KDE d. GNOME
B. The interface included with Windows Vista is called Aero.
20. Which of the following tools allows you to test DirectX functionality? A. Msinfo32 b. Ping c. Telnet d. DxDiag
D. The DxDiag utility(DirectX Diagnostics) is used to test DirectX functionality.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview