Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Areas of life affected by size inequality:
- out in public
- media visibility
Work/financial affects of fat phobia
- Punishment and firing
- "not appropriate for this job"- news casting, politicians
Effects of fat phobia on education
- the physical environment of school
- common stereotypes about fat students/teachers
- selective attention + confirmation bias
- effects of teacher beliefs/perceptions on learning/education/interactions
Effects of fat phobia on the family
- immigration-wont accept people with bmi over 30
- child custody
- eating and buying food
- discrimination protection
Fat phobia in social interactions
- love, relationships, marriage, pda - mike and molly
- bullying, harrassment, pressure, body hating talk, exploitation
Fat phobia when out in public
- travel and costs
- unauthorized photos
- public seating
- scrutiny of eating
- exercising/play/leisure/ working out
- shopping for clothing
- *access to full life and quality of life?
Fat phobia in politics and law
- representation by peers
- legal discrimination with no protections
- increasing legislation of fat:
- -bmi report cards
- -surcharges for fat employees
- -taxing the fatties and stereotypical behavior
- -mississippi food service bill
What is fat studies?
- reletively new; interdisciplinary
- society's focus: omg deathfatz
- Fat studies focus: societys roles, rules, claims about and treatment of people of various sizes
What fat studies is not:
myths about fat studies
- its of no interest to / done by only fat people
- its about making excuses for fatness
- its about saying 'fat is better than thin'
- its claims are not supported by scientific evidence
How is fat studies related to sociology?
- Focus on society -> Natural fit between the 2
- CW Mills "sociological imagination" : "a quality of mind"
- Intersection of: biography and history/culture
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview