China and Japan
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Idea of yin and yang
Yin and Yang
- Male and Female.
- Not only the principle object but also its complementry opposite.
The pitch at which a sylible is sounded is important in determaning its meaning as its combined with other components suach as duration and stress.
Kong Fuzi created. Fixed social hierarchy where wife to husband or son to father. Common man to ruler and ruler to heaven. Loyalty goes up and social responcibility the passed downward each looking after the ones one step below them.
the human was imperfect and through religious practice could embark on a journey of self improvement through several incarnations toward a purified future.
- ( Hua Yanjaun) Blind Abing.
- Born in 1890's
- raised in a daoist temple, trained to be an accomplished musician, went blind in adult hood and started to perform on the streets.
- Played the Pipa and Erhu.
- died in 1950.
- Thought of as a Daoist, Revelutionary, Romantic, Drug Addict.
- Played both traditional folk and modern music.
pear shaped lute that can play both melodie and harmony sim.
- Chinese violin with bow attached to the strings.
- 2 strings.
- Used in traditional music.
- Solo Foreign inspired.
- played in Bejing Opera, and beggers played.
- In Fusion high string was replaced with violin E-string.
- silk and bamboo music.
- Instruments are made originally from these materials.
- From the Jiangnan region in Eastern China.
- Pipa, Erhu, Ruan, Sheng. Used to be a hired ensemble but now all ameture musicians.
- Weddings and Local Operas, Inside. background
Mouth organ used in Sizhu
- Wind and Perccusion,
- out door,
- ritual music/ funerals and fesival festivities.
- Known for being strong.
- Gongche is the scale that helps them learn the music.
Double reed instrument in a Beiguan
- similar to do re mi:
- each symbol records a tones relative position in a scale. Beiguan.
- syllables that sound like the sounds they represent.
- Tought to drummers in beiguan
- Jingju. Singing with costumes and sets but its not really an opera.
- Perfomed everywhere.
- Training from a young age and very riggerous.
- Make up makes the character.
- Stories are from legends and myths.
- Changed with communist regime.
- Used for propoganda/ looks like a musical
- Zither with 7 strings
- Dragon Pool and Pheniex pond ( yin and yang)
- Technique is similar to chinese calligraphy
- rep: Short intro/ 3 main setions/ coda with free meter
- literati played them, ametures
- Jainzipu is the notation, read right to left.
Bunan people of taiwan chant to the sky god for good fortune in harvest and hunting.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview