- Purpose: separate layers of a mixture/solution via polarity differences
- Stationary phase = Polar
- Mobile phase = solvent, usually nonpolar
1. Column - glass beads to inc. SA
- 2. Paper - solvent moves up paper vial capillar action which polar components slowly and stick to paper.
- Rf factor = (distance compound traveled)/(distance traveled by solvent)
3. TLC - slicia gel (polar), need iodine to visualize results
4. Gas - liquid phase is the stationary phase (polar) while the mobile phase is a stable, nonpolar gas (like He or N2) . Components of mixture elute through an exit port.