Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
rather then being confined to a single geographic location, its people and their traditions are dispersed beyond the boundraies of the region
- the trade route that connected asia, arabia and europe
- China to morocco
- arabian ensemble
- instrumentation: ud, buzuq, nay, qanun, daff/riqq
- play the same melodie but not in unison
- some add ornimentaion
- others leave notes out
- Tremolos from the ud buzuq and qanun
- grace note pickups
- short necked lute in arabian music
- 11 strings
- generally tuned in 4ths
- Long necked flute in Arabian music
- 24 moveable frets
- 2 sets of strings in triple courses C and G.
- reed flute
- blown obliquely at an angle
a zither with seventy five strings in triple courses witha series of small tuning levers that allow the strings to be retuned in the course of performance.
playing the same thing at the same time
- evenly paced double or quadruple picking
- fast picking up and down on a string
playing the note above or below quickly before landing on the main note.
jumping up or down an octave
ascillations between 2 adjacent notes
ornaments including a note above or below the main note.
when 2 or more voices elaborate the same melody in different ways at roughly the same time
- a music note or scale
- pursian, greek, turkish
- melodic content, place, location, rank, techique of improvisation
- over 70
- each exspresses a spacific emotion
a maqam that begins on G
- concluding musical statement
rhythmic or melodic ostinato
energized audiences during performances
- a call to prayer
- heard 5 times a day
- not concidered music BUT it is musical
- a Proclomation
Judaism/ Chritianity/ Islam
all monotheistic religions all originating from the same location
callers who broadcast the Azan 5 times a day from mosques.
the nasal timbre of arabic singing
- the arabic ancient religius text
- recited in a specific way
- sounds like music but is not called so
- word of god
teachings in the hebrew bible
- the traditions of the prophet Muhammed that were preserved in the statements of his closest compamions adn eventually recorded in writing.
- provides an important source of guidance in matters of everday life
- like the Qur'an
- Where the sun sets
- North Africa: Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria, Tunisia, and Libya.
- where the sun rises
- Egypt and Sudan
- Concidered part of the eastern arab world
Jews from spain
early spanish language that sephards used to sing repratories of sung poetry.
Rebec, Vielle, Kamenj
Bowed mideval and Mediterranean lutes
- arab andaluian influence
1 or 2 stringed spiked skin coverd fiddle
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview