Test 2 Study Qs
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What were the 3 distinct parts of the British government?
- House of Lords
- House of commons
What part of English society did each part relate to in the British government fo the Monarchy?
royal family interests
What part of English society did each part relate to in the British government for the House of Lords?
- land owners
- voting rights 20% male pop
What part of English society did each part relate to in the British government for the House of commons?
- everyone else
- -be a member of parliment had to be land owner
- -couldnt run for office
What is the orgin for the British idea of liberty?
- Magna Carta
- -arrest somebody-> they must be charged with a crime
- -habeas corpus "produce the body"
- -trial by jury of peers
What rights were present in the English Bill of Rights?
- taxes imposed by legislature, not monarchy
- free spech in Parliment
- monarchy cant judge in legal cases
- citizens can petition their monarch
What is the Royal Prerogative?
- the authority of the monarch to do what is necessary to run and protect an empire
- (ie. passports)
- cut down on rum smuggling
- violators tried by an admiralty court in BR
- ---its a court martial by the Navy
- taxes to house and feed troops in America
- tax stamps on written documents
- everyone is effected by this, most protest in response
Patrick Henry's speech
Sons of Liberty
- Boston to SC
- keeping people from selling tax stamps
- up taxes, 5 items- paper, paint, lead, glass, tea
- closed NY colonial assembly over Quatering Act
Parliament---> colonial legislative--> taxes to citizens--> vote (in a circle)
Parliament---> taxes to citizens
Stamp Act Congress
- Oct 1765
- boycott of BR goods
- petition the monarch
The response to Townshed Acts that led to the dissolution of the colonial assemblies
- boycott 1770
- 6 more colonial legislative closed for resistance to Townshed Act
what was the ruling in the case of Campbell vs Hall?
the moarch can make law and levy taxes on a colony until the colony has its own legislature to do so (the king can no longer impose taxes)
- (Sons of Liberty dressed as natives, took tea and threw in river in Boston)
- close Boston trade
- more troops are sent to Boston
- all local govt in MA is suspended
- allowed British India tea company to sell their tea in America with out taxes
- hopefully it made their cheaper
- increase consumption, save company from falling through
whigs def of resistance
the act and laws of the govt
whigs def of revolt
against the monarch himself (the king)
2nd Continental Congress
- Continental Army- lead by G. Washington
- Committee of Secret correspondence
- blockage of the American coast
- seize American ships
- hire hessian Mercenciers to help crush rebellion
Declaration of Independence 3 parts
- I. Theory of govt- John Locke
- II. specific violations of the contract
- III. declaration
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview