taoism and Confucianism
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the aspects of Tao?
- Ultimate Reality
- Physical Universe
- Human Life
What is ultimate reality?
Similar to Brahman, it encompasses everything and is not dualistic. We cannot fully understand it. Ch'i came from Tao. Contains five Agents. It's a macrocosm of the universe
What is the physical universe?
the physical manifestation of Tao that is visible and tangible to us. It is Tao that can be experienced in life.
What is the aspect of human life?
Ch'i flows through all beings as a breath and a vital energy that one must balance to be at peace.
Describe Church Taoism
Known as Popular Taoism starting around 5th century BC. Has an order of priests and rituals with many Gods. The Jade Emperor is the highest earthly emperor. Also has three Officials of Heaven, Earth, Water. Priests are free to marry. Celestial Master is the largest Sect.
List the vitality practices
- taoist yogas
- nutritional and herbal techniques
- sexual techniques
- breathing techniques
- Tai Ch'i
- One of the vitality practices
- uses needles to unblock vital channels of energy called meridians
- similar to Chakra
describe taoist yogas
- Patterned on Raja Yoga
- waiting with a blank mind
- erase desires
describe the herbal and nutritional methods
- thousands of herbs and food in the Taoist pharmacology
- influence earth, wood, fire, water, metal
what are the Five Agents?
describe the sexual technique
- one of the vitality practices
- men and women withhold orgasms to have that energy float to their head and enlarge them
describe the breathing techniques
- one of the vitality practices
- similar to hindu techniques to calm the mind
describe Tai Ch'i
- sacred dance of the body to channel ch'i
- reenactment of the creation of the universe
- left foot = yang
- right foot = yin
List the philosophical ideas
- Yin and Yang
- Naturalness and simplicity
- humility and pacifism
- befriending nature
- value of negative spaces
- means actionless action
- ch'i flows through them as they are ready and relaxed
- go with the flow
describe Yin and Yang
- yin = dark - darkness, death, female
- yang = light - light, activity, male
- the opposites dovetail and share dots in center
Describe naturalness and simplicity
- do not abide by strict customs but be spontaneous
- going with the flow of life
describe humility and pacifism
- love for those who are crippled and empoverished
- soldiers at the bottom
- symbolized by water
describe befriending nature
- not killing ANY part of nature
- humans on same level as animals]
- all are part of tao
Describe Negative spaces and metaphyical emptiness
- cups, doors. windows, are important because of their negative space
- one should be empty of all desires and needs
List the concepts of Confucianism
Who is Confucianism based on?
K'ung Fr-tzu who lived from 551bc to 479bc and was given the name Confucius by Christian missionaries
- means man-to-man-ness or social respect
- should be at center of family
- ideal person which translates as "gentlemen" and "scholar"
- possesses grace and ease of knowing what to do and say "savoir faire"
- China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan
describe Li and the concepts of it
- means propriety or the way things should be done
- -respect for elders
- -doctrine of the mean
- -rectification of names
- -five constant relationships
what is respect for elders
- one of the concepts of Li
- unconditional respect for ancestors
- not earned
what is the doctrine of the mean?
- one of the concepts of li
- be moderate in all things and balanced
- avoid extremes
what is the rectification of names
- humans should live up to their titles and roles
- not say one thing do another
what are the five constant relationships?
- husband and wife
- parents and child
- younger sibling and older
- elder friend and junior
- ruler and subject
know your place
what is te
- one of the concepts of confucianism means "power" and "virtue"
- government must be run by virtuous people
- set by emperor
- confucianist concept meaning "arts of peace"
- society judged on it's arts
- edited the five classics
- the analects are K'ung's sayings
what are the five classics
- books K'ung edited
- -book of poetry
- -book of rites
- -book of history
- -book of changes
- -spring and autumn annals
what are the analects
book of K'ung's sayings and teachings compiled after death
what is shu
- confucianist concept meaning "reciprocity"
- the reverse "golden rule"
- do not do unto other what we wouldn't want for ourselves
Is confucianism a religion?
- No. it is a secular set of rules.
- state religion of china for 2000 years
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview