*Paul's Dictionary (set 2)
Card Set Information
*Paul's Dictionary (set 2)
Words encountered during reading (Tree / leaf characteristics, Homer, Joyce, Shakespeare, Lovecraft, Muir, etc.)
1. the policy of extending the rule or authority of an
empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.
2. advocacy of __(adj. form)__ interests.
3. an __(adj. form)__ system of government.
the policy of so uniting the separate parts of an empire with separate
governments as to secure for certain purposes a single state.
1. a body of troops stationed in a fortified place.
2. the place where such troops are stationed.
3. a military post, especially a permanent one.
4. to prove (a fort, town, etc.) with a _______.
5. to occupy (a fort, post, station, etc.) with troops.
6. to put (troops) on duty in a fort, post, station, etc.
1. full of fear; fearful:
The noise made them _______.
2. subject to fear; timid.
3. characterized by or indicating fear:
a _______ whisper.
1. respectful submission or yielding to the judgment, opinion, will, etc., of another.
2. respectful or courteous regard:
in _______ to his wishes.
1. a teacher; schoolteacher.
2. a person who is pedantic, dogmatic, and formal.
1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.
1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others:
an _______ dresser.
2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice:
Bountiful's _______ charity.
1. not respectful; manifesting or characterized by __(noun form__; deficient in veneration or respect:
an _______ reply.
irreligious, impious, profane.
reverie / revery
1. a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing:
Lost in _______.
2. a daydream.
3. a fantastic, visionary, or impractical idea:
_______s that will never come to fruition.
an instrumental composition of a vague and dreamy character.
1. an act of __(verb form)__ing.
2. counsel, advice, or caution.
3. a gentle reproof.
4. a warning or reproof given by an ecclesiastical authority.
a series of regularly spaced columns supporting an entablature and usually one side of a roof. Compare arcade.
2. a series of trees planted in a long row, as on each side of a driveway or road.
a member of the clergy or other person in religious orders.
not able to produce the desired effect; ineffective.
the scattering of the Jews to countries outside of Palestine after the Babylonian captivity...
the body of Jews living in countries outside Israel...
such countries collectively:
the return of the Jews from the _______.
4. any group migration or flight from a country or region. dispersion, dissemination, migration, displacement, scattering
5. any group that has been dispersed outside its traditional homeland, especially involuntarily, as Africans during the trans-Atlantic slave trade...
6. any religious group living as a minority among people of the prevailing religion.
7. the spread or dissemination of something originally confined to a local, homogeneous group, as a language or cultural institution:
the _______ of English as a global language.
1. a ridge, mound, or irregular mass of unstratified glacial drift, chiefly boulders, gravel, sand, and clay.
2. a deposit of such material left on the ground by a glacier.
1. any hairy plant belonging to the genus _______... cultivated for its small, fragrant purple flowers.
2. any of various other plants, as the valerian or the winter ______.
3. any plant that turns toward the sun.
4. a light tint of purple; reddish lavender.
an arrangement of mirrors for reflecting sunlight from a distant point to an observation station.
6. bloodstone (a greenish variety of chalcedony [variety of quartz] with small bloodlike spots of red jasper scattered through it)
1. shedding the leaves annually, as certain trees and shrubs.
2. falling off or shed at a particular season, stage of growth, etc., as leaves, horns, or teeth.
3. not permanent; transitory.
(of trees, shrubs, etc.) having green leaves throughout the entire year, the leaves of the past season not being shed until after the new foliage has been completely formed.
1. shaped like an open palm or like a hand with the fingers extended, as a leaf or an antler.
having four or more lobes or leaflets radiating from a single point.
decorated with _______s. / (in furniture of the 17th century) having bands of semicircles enclosing a radiating leaf form.
the slender stalk by which a leaf is attached to the stem; leafstalk.
a stalk or peduncle, as that connecting the abdomen and thorax in wasps.
1. resembling a feather, as in construction or arrangement; having parts arranged on each side of a common axis:
a _______ branch; _______ trees.
(of a leaf) having leaflets or primary divisions arranged on each side of a common stalk.
Leaves that are staggered, not placed directly across from each other on the twig.
Two leaves that are directly across from each other on the same twig.
a tree with leaves that are flat and thin, and generally shed annually.
the primary rib or central vein of a leaf.
the edge of a leaf.
the flat part of a leaf or leaflet, characteristic of broadleaf trees.
a modified leaf that bears a flower
the marks remaining after bud scales drop in spring.
an indehiscent (not opening at maturity), usually one-seeded, winged fruit, as of the elm or maple.
a single leaf blade with a bud at the base of the leafstem.
a leaf with more than one blade. All blades are attached to a single leafstem. Where the leafstem attaches to the twig there is a bud.
indentation between lobes on a leaf.
projections that shape a leaf.
a cone bearing tree.
a leaf margin with smooth, untoothed edges.
toothed / teeth
notches on the outer edge of a leaf.
expressing sorrow or melancholy; mournful:
a _______ melody.
wistful, sorrowful, sad
1. to move sideways or obliquely.
2. to edge along furtively.
3. a _______ing movement.
1. to express earnest disapproval of.
2. to urge reasons against; protest against (a scheme, purpose, etc.)
3. to _______; belittle.
to pray for deliverance from.
: condemn, denounce, disparage, decry
1. a discussion or conference.
2. an informal conference between enemies under a truce, especially to discuss terms, conditions of surrender, etc.
3. to hold an informal conference with an enemy under a truce, as between active hostilities.
4. to speak, talk, or confer.
: talk, converse, discuss
besot / besotted
1. to intoxicate or stupefy with drink.
2. to make stupid or foolish:
a mind _______ed with fear and superstition
3. to infatuate; obsess:
He is ______ed by her youth and beauty.
a hater of humankind.
1. the state, quality, or fact of being variable, divergent, different, or anomalous.
2. an instance of varying; difference; discrepancy.
1. an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.
an overlapping arrangement of five petals or leaves, in which two are interior, two are exterior, and one is partly interior and partly exterior.
mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner:
_______ songs of lost love.
1. courteous, gracious, and having a sophisticated charm:
a _______ gentleman.
2. jaunty; carefree; sprightly.
: urbane, suave, elegant, polished.
1. to form of small squares or blocks, as floors or pavements; form or arrange in a checkered or mosaic pattern.
1. a trifling away of time; dawdling.
2. amorous toying; flirtation.
1. (of the weather, the elements, etc.) severe, rough, or harsh; stormy.
2. not kind or merciful.