Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- 1. the policy of extending the rule or authority of an
- empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.
- 2. advocacy of __(adj. form)__ interests.
- 3. an __(adj. form)__ system of government.
- 4. Brit. the policy of so uniting the separate parts of an empire with separate
- governments as to secure for certain purposes a single state.
- 1. a body of troops stationed in a fortified place.
- 2. the place where such troops are stationed.
- 3. a military post, especially a permanent one.
- 4. to prove (a fort, town, etc.) with a _______.
- 5. to occupy (a fort, post, station, etc.) with troops.
- 6. to put (troops) on duty in a fort, post, station, etc.
- 1. full of fear; fearful:
- The noise made them _______.2. subject to fear; timid.
- 3. characterized by or indicating fear:
- a _______ whisper.
- Syn: cowardly.
- 1. respectful submission or yielding to the judgment, opinion, will, etc., of another.
- 2. respectful or courteous regard:
- in _______ to his wishes.
- 1. a teacher; schoolteacher.
- 2. a person who is pedantic, dogmatic, and formal.
- 1. ostentatious in one's learning.
- 2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.
- 1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others:
- an _______ dresser.2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice:
- Bountiful's _______ charity.
- Syn: grandiose
- 1. not respectful; manifesting or characterized by __(noun form__; deficient in veneration or respect:
- an _______ reply.
- Syn: irreligious, impious, profane.
reverie / revery
- 1. a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing:
- Lost in _______.
- 2. a daydream.
- 3. a fantastic, visionary, or impractical idea:
- _______s that will never come to fruition.4. Music. an instrumental composition of a vague and dreamy character.
- 1. an act of __(verb form)__ing.
- 2. counsel, advice, or caution.
- 3. a gentle reproof.
- 4. a warning or reproof given by an ecclesiastical authority.
- 1. Archit. a series of regularly spaced columns supporting an entablature and usually one side of a roof. Compare arcade.
- 2. a series of trees planted in a long row, as on each side of a driveway or road.
a member of the clergy or other person in religious orders.
not able to produce the desired effect; ineffective.
- 1. (cap.) the scattering of the Jews to countries outside of Palestine after the Babylonian captivity...
- 2. (cap.) the body of Jews living in countries outside Israel...
- 3. (cap.) such countries collectively:
- the return of the Jews from the _______.4. any group migration or flight from a country or region. dispersion, dissemination, migration, displacement, scattering
- 5. any group that has been dispersed outside its traditional homeland, especially involuntarily, as Africans during the trans-Atlantic slave trade...
- 6. any religious group living as a minority among people of the prevailing religion.
- 7. the spread or dissemination of something originally confined to a local, homogeneous group, as a language or cultural institution:
- the _______ of English as a global language.
- 1. a ridge, mound, or irregular mass of unstratified glacial drift, chiefly boulders, gravel, sand, and clay.
- 2. a deposit of such material left on the ground by a glacier.
- 1. any hairy plant belonging to the genus _______... cultivated for its small, fragrant purple flowers.
- 2. any of various other plants, as the valerian or the winter ______.
- 3. any plant that turns toward the sun.
- 4. a light tint of purple; reddish lavender.
- 5. Survey. an arrangement of mirrors for reflecting sunlight from a distant point to an observation station.
- 6. bloodstone (a greenish variety of chalcedony [variety of quartz] with small bloodlike spots of red jasper scattered through it)
- 1. shedding the leaves annually, as certain trees and shrubs.
- 2. falling off or shed at a particular season, stage of growth, etc., as leaves, horns, or teeth.
- 3. not permanent; transitory.
(of trees, shrubs, etc.) having green leaves throughout the entire year, the leaves of the past season not being shed until after the new foliage has been completely formed.
- 1. shaped like an open palm or like a hand with the fingers extended, as a leaf or an antler.
- 2. Bot. having four or more lobes or leaflets radiating from a single point.
- 3. Zool. web-footed.
- 4. Furniture. decorated with _______s. / (in furniture of the 17th century) having bands of semicircles enclosing a radiating leaf form.
- 1. Bot. the slender stalk by which a leaf is attached to the stem; leafstalk.
- 2. Zool. a stalk or peduncle, as that connecting the abdomen and thorax in wasps.
- 1. resembling a feather, as in construction or arrangement; having parts arranged on each side of a common axis:
- a _______ branch; _______ trees.2. Bot. (of a leaf) having leaflets or primary divisions arranged on each side of a common stalk.
- Leaves that are staggered, not placed directly across from each other on the twig.
- Two leaves that are directly across from each other on the same twig.
- a tree with leaves that are flat and thin, and generally shed annually.
- the primary rib or central vein of a leaf.
the edge of a leaf.
the flat part of a leaf or leaflet, characteristic of broadleaf trees.
- a modified leaf that bears a flower
- the marks remaining after bud scales drop in spring.
- Bot. an indehiscent (not opening at maturity), usually one-seeded, winged fruit, as of the elm or maple.
- a single leaf blade with a bud at the base of the leafstem.
- a leaf with more than one blade. All blades are attached to a single leafstem. Where the leafstem attaches to the twig there is a bud.
- indentation between lobes on a leaf.
- projections that shape a leaf.
a cone bearing tree.
- a leaf margin with smooth, untoothed edges.
toothed / teeth
- notches on the outer edge of a leaf.
- expressing sorrow or melancholy; mournful:
- a _______ melody.
- Syn: wistful, sorrowful, sad
- 1. to move sideways or obliquely.
- 2. to edge along furtively.
- 3. a _______ing movement.
- 1. to express earnest disapproval of.
- 2. to urge reasons against; protest against (a scheme, purpose, etc.)
- 3. to _______; belittle.
- 4. Archaic. to pray for deliverance from.
- Syn: condemn, denounce, disparage, decry
- (noun)1. a discussion or conference.
- 2. an informal conference between enemies under a truce, especially to discuss terms, conditions of surrender, etc.
- (verb)3. to hold an informal conference with an enemy under a truce, as between active hostilities.
- 4. to speak, talk, or confer.
- Syn: talk, converse, discuss
besot / besotted
- 1. to intoxicate or stupefy with drink.
- 2. to make stupid or foolish:
- a mind _______ed with fear and superstition.
- 3. to infatuate; obsess:
- He is ______ed by her youth and beauty.
a hater of humankind.
- 1. the state, quality, or fact of being variable, divergent, different, or anomalous.
- 2. an instance of varying; difference; discrepancy.
- 1. an arrangement of five objects, as trees, in a square or rectangle, one at each corner and one in the middle.
- 2. Bot. an overlapping arrangement of five petals or leaves, in which two are interior, two are exterior, and one is partly interior and partly exterior.
- mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner:
- _______ songs of lost love.
- Syn: sorrowful, melancholy
- 1. courteous, gracious, and having a sophisticated charm:
- a _______ gentleman.2. jaunty; carefree; sprightly.
- Syn: urbane, suave, elegant, polished.
- 1. to form of small squares or blocks, as floors or pavements; form or arrange in a checkered or mosaic pattern.
- 1. a trifling away of time; dawdling.
- 2. amorous toying; flirtation.
- 1. (of the weather, the elements, etc.) severe, rough, or harsh; stormy.
- 2. not kind or merciful.