The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- [uh-beyt] v. subside; decrease, lessen.
- abatement, n.
- Rather than leaving immediately, they waited for the storm to abate.
- [ak-uh-leyd] n. award of merit.
- In Hollywood, an "Oscar" is the highest accolade.
[ak-wee-es] v. assent; agree without protesting.
- [ak-rid] adj. sharp; bitterly pungent.
- Pungent-sharply affecting the organs of taste or smell.
- [ak-ruh-moh-nee] n. bitter in words or manner.
- acrimonious, adj.
- v. gatherl accumulate.
- aggregation, n.
[uh-mawr-fuhs] adj. formless; lacking shape or definition.
- [uh-nak-ruh-nis-tik] adj. something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time;
- having an error involving time in a story.
- anachronism, n.
- [uh-nom-uh-lee] n. irregularity; a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form.
- A bird that can not fly is an anomaly.
[an-tee-di-loo-vee-uhn] adj. antiquated; extremely ancient; of or belonging to the period before the Flood.
[an-tip-uh-thee] n. aversion; dislike.
[uh-pok-ruh-fuhl] adj. untrue; made up.
[ar-uh-buhl] adj. fit for growing crops.
- [ahr-dnt] adj. intense; passionate; zealous.
- ardor, n.
- [uh-sij-oo-uhs] adj. diligent.
- assiduity, n.
[uh-sweyj] v. ease or lessen(pain); satisfy(hunger); soothe(anger).
- [a-truh-fee] v. waste away.
- After 3 months in a cast, your calf muscles are bound to atrophy.
- [aw-dey-shuhs] adj. daring; bold.
- audacity, n.
[av-er-is] n. greediness for wealth.
- [uh-vurt] v. prevent; turn away.
- She averted her eyes from the dead cat on the highway.
[bih-gahyl] v. mislead or delude; pass time.
- [bih-kweeth] v. leave to someone by a will; hand down.
- bequest, n.
[bleek] adj. cold or cheerless; unlikely to be favorable.
[blahyt] adj. suffering from a disease; destroyed.
- [bom-bas-tik] adj. pompous; using inflated language.bombast, n.
[buh-tris] v. support; prop up.
- [kuh-kof-uh-nuhs] adj. discordant; inharmonious.
- cacophony, n.
- [kahr-ping] adj. finding fault.
- carp, v.
[sur-ti-tood] n. certainty.
[shahr-luh-tn] n. quack; pretender to knowledge.
[sur-kuhm-loh-kyoo-shuhn] n. a roundabout or indirect way of speaking;
[klee-shey] n. phrase dulled in meaning by repetition.
[koh-uh-les] v. combine; fuse.
[kuh-loh-kwee-uhl] adj. pertaining to conversational or common speech.
[kuhm-buhs-tuh-buhl]adj. easily burned.