*Paul's Dictionary (set 6)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- Naut. a heavy rope for mooring or towing.
- 1. intended to entrap or beguile:
- an _______ plan.2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful:
- an _______ enemy.3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect:
- an _______ disease.
- Syn: corrupting... artful, cunning, wily, subtle, crafty.
- 1. painfully difficult or burdensome work; toil.
- 2. pain, anguish or suffering resulting from mental or physical hardship.
- 3. the pain of childbirth.
- 4. to suffer the pangs of childberth; be in labor.
- 5. to toil or exert oneself.
labor, moil... torment, agony.
- 1. of, pertaining to, or capable of walking:
- an _______ exploration of the countryside.2. adapted for walking, as the limbs of many animals.
- 3. moving around or from place to place; not stationary:
- an _______ tribe.
- 4. Med. not confined to bed; able or strong enough to walk.
- 1. pressed together or compacted, as soldiers in rows:
- _______ troops.
- 1. incised carving, as opposed to carving in relief.
- 2. ornamentation with a figure or design sunk below the surface.
- 3. a gem, seal, piece of jewelry, or the like, cut with an incised or sunken design.
- 4. an incised or countersunk die.
- 5. a figure or design so produced.
- 6. a process in which a design, text, etc., is engraved into the surface of a plate so that when ink is applied and the excess is wiped off, ink remains in the grooves and is transferred to paper in printing, as in engraving or etching.
- 7. an impression or printing from such a design, engraving, etc.
hackle / hackles
- 1. one of the long, slender feathers on the neck or saddle of certain birds, as the domestic rooster, much used in making artificial flies for anglers.
- 2. the neck plumage of a male bird, as the domestic rooster.
- 3. the erectile hair on the back of an animals neck:
- at the sound of footsteps, the dog raised her ______s.anger, especially when aroused in a challenging or challenged manner:
- with one's ______s up.
- Idiom: raise one's _______s. to arouse one's anger:
- such officiousness always raises my ______s.
- 1. a person or thing that ruins or spoils:
- Gambling was the ______ of his existence.2. a deadly poison (often used in combination, as in the names of poisonous plants):
- wolfs______; hen_______.3. death; destruction; ruin.
- 4. Obs. that which causes death or destroys life:
- entrapped and drowned beneath the watery ______.
- 1. Fort. a projecting portion of a rampart or fortification that forms an irregular pentagon attached at the base of the main work.
- 2. a fortified place.
- 3. anything seen as preserving or protecting some quality, condition, etc.:
- a ______ of solitude; a ______ of democracy.
- Syn: fortress, fort, bulwark, stronghold, citadel.
- 1. generous bestowal of gifts.
- 2. the gift or gifts, as of money, so bestowed.
- 3. Obs. generosity; liberality.
- 1. a leafy shelter or recess; arbor.
- 2. a rustic dwelling; cottage.
- 3. a lady's boudoir in a medieval castle.
- 4. to enclose in or as in a ______; em_______.
- Naut (alternative): an anchor carried at a ship's bow.
cairn (also carn)
- a heap of stones set up as a landmark, monument, tombstone, etc.
- 1. the distal or terminal segment of the wing of a bird consisting of the carpus, metacarpus, and phalanges.
- 2. the wing of a bird.
- 3. a feather.
- 4. the flight feathers collectively.
- 5. to cut off the ___(noun)____ of (a wing) or bind (the wings), as in order to prevent a bird from flying.
- 6. to disable or restrain (a bird) in such a manner.
- 7. to bind (a person's arms or hands) so they cannot be used.
- 8. to disable (someone) in such a manner; shackle.
- 9. to bind or hold fast, as to a thing:
- to be _______ed to one's bad habits.
- 1. producing or capable of producing offspring, fruit, vegetation, etc., in abundance; prolific; fruitful:
- ________ parents; _______ farmland.
- 2. very productive or creative intellectually:
- the ________ years of the Italian Renaissance.
ossuary (also ossuarium)
- a place or receptacle for the bones of the dead.
- 1. Class. Myth. an ethereal fluid flowing in the veins of the gods.
- 2. Pathol. an acrid, watery discharge, as from an ulcer or wound.
- 1. light, airy, or tenuous:
- an _______ world created through the poetic imagination.2. extremely delicate or refined:
- _______ beauty.3. heavenly or celestial:
- gone to his ______ home.4. of or pertaining to the upper regions of space.
- 1. noxious exhalations from putrescent organic matter; poisonous effluvia or germs polluting the atmosphere.
- 2. a dangerous, foreboding, or deathlike influence or atmosphere.
- 1. a repository for dead bodies (_______ house).
- 2. of, like, or fit for a ______; deathlike; sepulchral.
- 1. done, shown, used, etc., maliciously or unjustifiably:
- a ______ attack; ______ cruelty.2. deliberate and without motive or provocation; uncalled-for; headstrong; willful:
- Why jeapordize your career in such a ______ way?
- 3. without regard for what is right, just, humane, etc.; careless; reckless:
- a ______ attacker of religious convictions.4. sexually lawless or unrestrained; loose; lascivious; lewd:
- ______ behavior.5. extravagantly or excessively luxurious, as a person, manner of living, or style.
- 6. Archaic. sportive or frolicsome, as children or young animals // having free play:
- ______ breezes; a ______ brook.
- 8. a ______ or lascivious person, especially a woman.
- 9. to behave in a ______ manner; become ______.
- 10. to squander, especially in pleasure (often followed by away):
- to ______ away one's inheritance.
malicious, calculated, heedless, inconsiderate, licentious, dissolute, immoral, libidinous, concupiscent, lustful, lavish, waste. Ant:
careful, considerate, restrained.
amphora / amphorae or amphoras
- a large two-handled storage jar having an oval body, usually tapering to a point at the base, with a pair of handles extending fro immediately below the lip to the shoulder. Used chiefly for wine, oil, etc., and, set on a foot, as a commemorative vase awarded the victors in contess such as the Panathenaic games.
- 1. impudence; effrontery.
- 2. bile, especially that of an animal.
- 3. something bitter or severe.
- 4. bitterness of spirit; rancor.
- 5. ______ and wormwood: bitterness of spirit; deep resentment.
nerve, audacity, brass, cheek.
- //2nd def.
- 1. to make sore by rubbing; chafe severely:
- The saddle ______ed the horse's back.
- 2. to vex or irritate greatly:
- His arrogant manner ______s me.
- 3. to become chafed.
- 4. a sore on the skin, especially of a horse, due to rubbing; excoriation.
- 5. something very vexing or irritating.
- 6. a state of vexation or irritation.
- characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly:
- an ______ professor; an ______ commentary.
- 1. traveling from place to place, especially on a circuit, as a minister, judge, or sales representative; journeying.
- 2. characterized by such traveling:
- ______ preaching.3. working in one place for a comparatively short time and then moving on to work in another place, usually a a physical or outdoor laborer; characterized by alternating periods of working and wandering:
- an ______ farm hand.
- 4. a person who alternates between working and wandering.
- 5. a person who travels from place to place, especially for duty or business.
wandering, nomadic, migratory, unsettled, roving, roaming; peripatetic. Ant:
- 1. having or seeming to have a supernatural or inexplicable basis; beyond the ordinary or normal; extraordinary:
- ______ accuracy; an ______ knack of foreseeing trouble.2. mysterious; arousing superstitious fear or dread; uncomfortably strange:
- ______ sounds filled the house.
Syn: preternatural, odd, weird. Ant:
- 1. easily managed or controlled; docile; yielding:
- a ______ child; a ______ disposition.2. easily worked, shaped, or otherwise handled; malleable.
- Syn: manageable, willing, governable. Ant: stubborn.
- 1. Astron. (of a heavenly body) convex at both edges, as the moon when more than half full.
- 2. humpbacked.
- 1. (cap.) a person who is lacking in or hostile or smugly indifferent to cultural values, intellectual pursuits, aesthetic refinement, etc., or is contentedly commonplace in ideas and tastes.
- 2. (cap.) lacking in or hostile to culture.
- 3. smugly commonplace or conventional.
Babbitt, vulgarian, lowbrow
- 1. to divert or amuse (oneself)
- 2. to display (oneself) in a sportive manner:
- The picnickers ______ed themselves merrily on the beach.3. to divert oneself; sport.
- 4. diversion; amusement; play; sport.
bas-relief (aka low relief)
- 1. relief sculpture in which the figures project slightly from the background.
- patronage bestowed or favoritsm shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics:
- She was accused of ______ when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.
- 1. a king or other ruler with absolute, unlimited power; autocrat.
- 2. any tyrant or oppressor.
- 3. Hist. an honorary title applied to a Byzantine emperor, afterward to members of his family, and later to Byzantine vassal rulers and governors.
- 1. a nw word, meaning, usage or phrase.
- 2. the introduction or use of new words or new senses of existing words.
- 3. a new doctrine, especially a new interpretation of sacred writings.
- 4. Psychiatry. a new word, often consisting of a combination of other words, that is understood only by the speaker, occurring most often in the speech of schizophrenics.
- 1. of or pertaining to the river Styx or to Hades.
- 2. dark or gloomy.
- 3. infernal; hellish.
- 1. to increase in extent, quantity, intensity, power, etc.:
- Discord _____ed at an alarming rate.2. (of the moon) to increase in the extent of its illuminated portion before the full moon.
- 3. to grow or become:
- He _____ed angry at the insinuation.
- Syn: extend, grow, lengthen, enlarge, dilate.
- //alt. def.
- Brit. a fit of anger; rage.
- 1. to decrease in strength, intensity, etc.:
- Daylight _____ed, and night came on. Her enthusiasm for the cause is ______ing.2. to decline in power, importance, prosperity, etc.:
- Colonialism began to ______ after World War 2.3. to draw to a close; approach an end:
- Summer is ______ing.4. (of the moon) to decrease periodically in the extent of its illuminated portion after the full moon.
- 5. a gradual decrease or decline in strength, intensity, power, etc.
- 6. the drawing to close of life, an era, a period, etc.
- 7. the ______ing of the moon.
- 8. a period of ______ing.
- Idiom: on the ______; decreasing, diminishing:
- The popularity of that song is on the _____.
- 1. marriage or cohabitation between a man and woman of different races, especially, in the U.S., between a bllack and a white person.
- 2. interbreeding between members of different races.
- 3. the mixing or a mixture of races by interbreeding.
- elation of mind or feeling, sometimes abnormal or morbid in character; rapture:
- mystical _______; euphoric ______.
- Syn: exultation, transport, euphoria, ecstasy
- 1. having a pleasant odor; fragrant.
- 2. odorous or smelling (usually followed by of):
- _____ of garlic.3. suggestive; reminiscent (usually followed by of):
- verse ______ of Shakespeare.
- Syn: odorous, aromatic, odorierous.
- 1. a funeral song or tune, or one expressing mourning in commemoration of the dead.
- 2. any composition resembling such a song or tune in character, as a poem of lament for the dead or solemn, mournful music:
- Tennyson's ______ for the Duke of Wellington.
- 3. a mournful sound resembling a _____:
- the autumn wind sang the ______ of summer.4. Eccles. the office of the the dead, or the funeral service as sung.
- 1. approval; commendation.
- 2. official approval or sanction.
- 3. Obs. conclusive proof.
ignominy (noun) / ignominious (adj.)
ig-nom-uh-nee / ig-nuh-min-ee-uhs
- 1. disgrace; dishonor; public contempt.
- 2. shameful or dishonorable quality or conduct or an instance of this.
- Syn: disrepute, discredit, shame, obloquy, opprobrium, disgrace. Ant: credit, honor
- 1. marked by or attended with ____(noun form)____; discreditable; humiliating:
- an ______ retreat.2. bearing or deserving ___(noun form)___; contemptible.
- Syn: degrading, disgraceful, dishonorable, shameful, despicable, ignoble.
absolution / absolve
- 1. a freeing from blame or guilt; release from consequences, obligations, or penalties.
- 2. Roman Cath. Theol. a remission of sin or of the punishment for sin, made by a priest in the sacrament of penance on the ground of authority received from Christ.
- 3. Prot. Theol. a declaration or assurance of divine forgiveness to penitent believers, made after confession of sins.
- 1. a state of final spiritual ruin; loss of the soul; damnation.
- 2. the future state of the wicked.
- 3. hell.
- 4. utter destruction or ruin.
- 5. Obs. loss.
- haughtily disdainful or contemptuous, as a person or a facial expression.
- Syn: arrogant, scornful. Ant: humble.
to walk during sleep; sleepwalk.
peremptory (adj.) / peremptorily (adv.)
- 1. leaving no opportunity for denial or refulsal; imperative;
- a ______ command.2. imperious or dictatorial.
- 3. positive or asservtive in speech, tone, manner, etc.
- 4. Law. that precludes or does not admit of debate, question, etc.:
- a ______ edict.decisive or final // in which a command is absolute and unconditional:
- a ______ write.
- Syn: arbitrary, dogmatic, domineering.
- 1. of settled or sedate character; not flighty or capricious.
- 2. fixed, settled, or permanent.
- Syn: proper, serious, decorous, solemn, sedate, settled, sober, composed... a colorless kind of correctness.
- a ______ and uninteresting family.
- 1. touching; in contact.
- 2. in close proximity without actually touching; near.
- 3. adjacent in time:
- ______ evnts.
- Syn: bordering, adjoining, abutting, adjacent
- 1. deserving praise; praiseworthy; commendable:
- Reorganizing the files was a ______ idea.2. Med. Obs. healthy; wholesome; not noxious.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview