The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Infared radiation (IRR) superficial or deep?
Microwave (MWD) superficial or deep?
Shortwave (SWD) superficial or deep?
Define eletromagnetic radiation
Radiation consisting of waves of energy associated with electric and magnetic fields resulting from the acceleration of an electric charge
Where does the magnetic field lie in relation to the electircal field?
Is there a medium required for electromagnetic radiation and what direction does it travel in?
- No medium required
- Travels in a straight line
Why is MWD deep whereas IRR superficial?
MWD has longer wavelengths and so can skip over structures to deeper tissues (4-5cm)
What is IRR?
A superficial thermal agent used for the relief of pain or stiffness
What types of IRR lamps are there and how long does each take to warm up?
- Luminous - 30 seconds
- Non-luminous - 5-15 minutes
Temperature, time application and patient positioning for IRR?
- 40-45 degrees
- 10-20 minutes
What is microwave diathermy?
Produces ionic motion of charged molecules = friction = heating
Application time MWD
Safety issues? - interferences
- Hearing aids
- Other therapeutic machinery
- Check output on machinery with fluoro tube first
- The production of heat takes a little while to develop
- Need to turn up the intensity slowly
- Wait for the patient to report the first mild sensations of heating
- Patient perception of heat is critical
- Totally reliant upon feedback from superficial receptors
- Instruction that the patient only feel the gentlest wamth is paramount
- Output meter on the machine is irrelevent
Contraindications to deep heat
- Inability to communicate
- Sensory loss