Substance Use Unit
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
First Edition of DSM released in...
Second edition of DSM released in...
When were 12,000 patients evaluated
Sept. '77 thru Sept. '79
DSM III finally approved in...
Organic Mental Disorder
Temporary or permanent dysfunction of the brain...
Intox. or Alzheimer's
Causes or Organic Factors of OMD's
- Primary Disease of Brain (Alzheimer's)
- Withdrawal (Need more to eliminate Nausea/shaking)
Physiological criteria for Alcohol Intox...
Psychological criteria for Alcohol Intox...
Substance Use Disorder (SUD)
more or less regular use of substances that affect the central nervous system
Criteria for Marijuana (MJ) Intox...
- Recent Use
- Tachycardia (Increased Heart Rate)
Psychological symptoms of MJ use w/in 2 hrs. of use...
- Senses SEEM to intensify
- Time SEEMS to slow down (5min.=1hr.)
Physical symptoms of MJ use w/in 2hrs. of use...
- Conjunctival Injection (Eyes Sink In)
- Dry Mouth
- Increased Hunger
Abnormal behavioral effects of MJ use
- Excessive anxiety
- Impaired Judgement
- Interference with social or occupational functioning
Pattern of pathological alcohol abuse...
- Need daily for adequate functioning
- Inability to quit
- Repeated attempts to "go on the wagon"
- Occasional consumption of a fifth
- Binges (Remain intox. for at east 2 days)
- Continues to drink despite a serious physical disorder that makes their condition worse
Impairment in social or occupational functioning...
- Violence while intox.
- Absence from work
- Loss of job
- Legal difficulties
- Job -seek out drugs
- Found-MJ, Coke, Heroin (all thought to be narcs)
- Educated the public through media
- Lacatta-teen who axed family to death while high on MJ
- Congress made Reefer Madness
- MJ Tax Act passed in 1937 making MJ illegal
- Aslinger was so powerful because NORML did not exist
In adolescent treatment programs...
- 60% had 1 parent that was chemically dependent
- one CD parent, 4 times greater chance of becoming dependent themselves
- both CD parents, chances are 35 times greater
True and False Questions on test...
- serotonin is produces by large amounts of refined carbs making us feel loved, secure, and satisfied
- Alcohol stays in system 3x longer in pregnant vs. non-pregnant due to hormonal changes
- 1 of 5 anorexics left untreates because problem is not diagnosed
- average age of experimentation is 11.3 years
- 40 to 90% of child abuse cases, alcohol plays a part
- Drugs are cross addictive
- In '82, Gallup showed 1 in 3 families reported drinking problems
- 2 of 3 teens who commit suicide had at least 1 CD parent
- Jap., Chinese, and Koreans don't have increased tolerance. Need little to get high
- 28 mil kids had alcoholic parent(s) in '76
- 1 in 4 young people living in alcoholic home
Pack a Day smoker inhales...
75, 000 times a year
- greater than 50% in first 6 months
- greater than 70% w/in first 12 months
There are more____smokers in the US
50% who want to give up smoking______.
are unable to
continues to use tobacco despite a serious physical disorder that he/she knows increases the seriousness of the disorder.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview