Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The trading of favors, quid pro quo. Trading influense or votes to gain passages of certain projects.
A government project or appropriation that yields jobs or other benefits to a spefic locale and patronage opportunties to it's political represenative.
First time we hear a case. Innocence V. Guilt
- Was the trial conducted correctly?
- Was the LAW applied correctly?
- (No jury, witness, etc.)
Authority is a legal case establishing a principle or rule that a court or other judicial body utilizes when deciding subsequent cases with similar issues or facts.
De Facto Discrimination
- Biast and personal
- Cultural bias
De Jure Discrimination
discrminiation based on law
Brown V. Board of Education
Court ruled that seperate but equal was constitutional
Miranda V. Arizona
- 5th Amendment
- Must be read rights
- Freedom from self-incrimination
Gideon V. Wainwright
- 6th amendment
- Right to legal counsel must extend to all those charged with felony.
Marbury V. Madison
- Was the first time the supreme court delcared something "uncontitutional" and established the concept of "Judical Review"
- Helped define "checks and balances"
Griswold V Connecticut
State laws criminalizing use and procurement and distribution of birthcontrol by married by married women.
"Right to Privacy"
Roe V. Wade
Pro-Life V. Pro-Choice
Mapp V. Ohio
- 4th Amendment
- Evidence obtained and entered into court muct be gotten by way of warrent based on probable cause
- Legit arrest and conviction
Is a concept concerning the "study of the developmental process by which children and adsolants aquire political cognition, attitudes, and behavior.
- First Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
- 270 electoral votes to win.
Requirements for House
- 25 years old
- A citizen for 25 years
- Be a resident of the state from which they are elected from
Constitutional requirements for Senate
- 30 years old
- Citizen for 9 years
- Resident form the state elected
Constitutional requirements for Presidency
- 35 years old
- Citizen for 14 years
- Natural born citizen
- Term-4 years
- Max-2 terms or 10 years
Power to govern between National and State
- A gov system in which the national gov alone has umtimate (sovereign) authority
- Enumerated powers(17)
- Implied - "Necessary and Proper" Clause
- Power at the state level
- Reserved powers- Health, safety, welfare, morality
Seperation of Powers
The state is divided into branches (3), each with seperate and independent powers and ares of responsibility.
Checks and Balances
- No branch becomes to powerful
- Each branch has authority over the other
Examination by the courts of the actions in the legislative, executive and administrative branches of government to ensure that those actions conform to the provisions of the constitution.
Freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, petition
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview