Ch. 1 Combining forms
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
EX: adenoma: tumor of a gland
EX: arthritis: inflammation of a gland
EX: Biology: study of the process of life
EX: carcinoma: a cancerous tumor
EX: cardiology: study of the heart
EX: cephalic: pertaining to the head
Cerebrum (largest part of the brain)
EX: cerebral: pertaining to the cerebrum
EX: incision: The process of cutting into.
To secrete (to form and give off)
EX: endocrine glands: secrete hormones directly into the bloodstream
Urinary bladder; a sac or cyst
EX: cystoscopy: process of visual examining the urinary bladder or cyst.
EX: cytology: the study of cells
- EX: dermatitis: Inflammation of the skin
- EX: hypodermis: Pertaining to under the skin
EX: electrocardiogram (ECG): Electronic record of the heart.
EX: electroencephalogram (EEG): Electronic record of the brain
Intestines (usually small intestine)
EX: enteritis: Inflammation of the Intestines
EX: erythrocyte: Red cells (erythrocytes carry oxygen in the blood)
- EX:gastrectomy: Removing part of the stomach
- EX:gastrotomy: process of cutting part of the stomach
EX: hyperglycemia: blood condition with too much sugar
- EX: diagnosis: state of complete knowledge
- EX: prognosis: Knowledge before. (prediction)
EX: gynecology: the study of woman/female
- EX: hematology: study of blood
- EX:hematoma: collection of blood (bruise)
- EX:hemoglobin: blood protein' hemoglobin carries oxygen in the red blood cells
EX: hepatitis: Inflammation of the liver.
EX:iatrogenic: Iatrogenic Conditions are adverse effects that result from treatment or interventon by a physician
EX: leukocyte: white blood cell that helps fight disease
EX: dermatology: study of skin
- EX:nephrology: study of the kidney's
- EX:nephritis: inflammation of the kidney
EX: neurology: study of the nerves
- EX:oncology: study of tumors
- EX:oncologist: someone who specializes in tumors
EX:opthalmoscope: Instrument to visually examine the eye
- EX: osteitis: Inflammation of the bone
- EX: osteoarthritis: degeneration of bones and joints accompanied by inflammation
- EX: pathology: study of disease
- EX: pathologist: someone who studies disease
EX: pediatric: Pertaining to the treatment of children
EX: pyschology: the study of the mind
EX: radiology: study of x-rays
EX: renal: Describes the kidney
EX: rhinitis: Inflammation of the nose
EX: sarcoma: cancerous tumor; grows from "fleshy" connective tissue such as muscle, bone, and fat.
EX: resection: cutting out or removal (excision)
- EX: thrombocyte: also known as platelets; these cells help clot blood.
- EX: thrombosis: condition of clot formation
Urinary Tract, urine
EX: urology: study of the urinary tract; urologist is a surgeon who operates on the urinary tract
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview