Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- considered the beginning of modern europe
- "rebirth" of
- -classical education
- -greco-roman architecture
- "most serene republic"
- governed by great council and doge
- -rich in trade
- -special trading privileges with byzantine empire until the fall of constantinople (1453)
- center of the renaissance
- -rich on trade, textiles, banking
- major center of art patronage
- nominally a republic but was dominated by powerful families
- -medici dynasty
- 476 fall of rome = poverty and ruin
- -presence of catholic church kept the city relevant (1400s papacy returned from avignon)
- -art and diplomacy
- federigo da montefeltro
- -emplyed by kings of naples, poes and dukes of milan
- known for intelligence and political wisdom
- -patron of the arts
- co-ruler of matua
- -classically educated and cultured
- 1453 developed the moveable type printing
- -revolution in literacy
- "expulsion of adam and eve"
- classical revolution in painting
- "mary magdalen"
- classical revolution in sculpture
- -celebrated man
- renaissance man
- "vetruvian man"
- "last supper"
- "mona lisa"
- high renaissance
- discovered by pope julius II
- "school of athens"
- frescoes in popes room
- "birth of venus"
- "la primavera"
- revolutionary theme of gods
- centered intellectually on religion and efforts at reformation
- -erasmus of rotterdam, more, luther
- LESS SECULAR THAN ITALIAN RENAISSANCE
- famous for religious works, woodblocks, and self portraits
- famous for realistic portraits
- "the wedding portrait"
- attention to detail
- brutal examination of human morality
- -friends hiding from the plague, chronicled various reactions to the black death
- branch banking for the pope
- dominated florence
- art patronage
- -1434 secured his family's control
- -most powerful
- a book of etiquette of the ideal renaissance man
- combined medeival and modern virtues
- first major work of political science
- -duty bound ruler
- "better to be feared than loved"
- "ends justify the means"
- -has been misused to justify dicatatorships
- first significant work written in english vernacular instead of latin
pilgrims traveling between london and the canterbury cathedral telling stories
- crowning acheivments of spanish literature
- -literary realism
- characters represent the dual nature of spanish character
the divine comedy
- danteliterary revolution
- -abandoned latin for vernacular
- -epic poem
- "cathedral of florence"
- revolutionary design
- -largest dome since antiquity
- -boom in domes
- child prodigy
- "la pieta"
- "sistine chapel cieling"
- "the last judgement"
- st peters basilica
- study of man and man's achievments
- petrarch "father of humanism"
- -wrote only in latin
- -letters to cicero
- lorenzo valla
- leonardo bruni
- -new cicero
of or pertaining to ancient greece or rome
government by the few, the rich
- mother with crucified body of christ
- mother with child
- mother and michael
historic name for belgium
synonym for netherlands
belgium, netherlands, louxembourg
- revolutionary sailing ship developed in 1300s
- -rounded hull and three triangular sails
north african muslim tribe that had conquered the iberian peninsula around 1700
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview