Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Define Anatomy and Physiology.
Anatomy-the study of the structure of an organism and the relationships of its parts.
Physiology-is the science that deals with the functions of the living organism and its parts.
Describe how science developes new principles.
Observations and experiments > propose hypothesis > design experiment > collect data > determine if data is biased > refine hypothesis > refine experiments > accept as theory > accept as law.
List the 3 ways in which Physiology can be subdivided as scientific discipline.
- 1) the type of organism involved such as human physiology or plant physiology
- 2) the organizational level studied such as molecular or cellular physiology
- 3) a specific or systemic function being studied such as neurophysiology, respiratory physiology, or cardiovascular
What name is used to describe the study of the body that considers groups of organs that have a common function?
What is an eponym?
- Terms that are based or named after a specific person. Example: Eustachian Tubes named after the famed anatomist
What single criterion might be used to define life?
Define the term metabolism as it applies to the characteristics of life.
complex intertwining set of chemical process by which life is made possiblefor a living organism
List the 7 levels of organization.
- 1) Chemical level-Basis for life
- 2) Organelle level
- 3) Cellular level
- 4) Tissue level
- 5) Organ level
- 6) System level
- 7) Organism level
Identify 3 organelles.
- Mitochondria=power house
- Endoplasmic Reticulum=highways
List the 4 major tissue types
- 1. Epithelial
- 2. Connective
- 3. Muscle
- 4. Nervous
List the 11 major organ systems.
Acronym: MN RULER DISC / LUCRID SERMN
Namee the 2 major subdivisions of the body as a whole.
Identify the 2 major body cavities and the subdivisions of each.
- 1. Thoracic Cavity
- 2. Abdominopelvic Cavity
list the 9 abdominal regions
- Right Hypochondriac Epigastric Left Hypochondriac Right Upper Left Upper
- Right Lumbar Umbilical Left Lumbar Right Lower Left Lower
- Right Iliac (inguinal) Hypogastric Left Iliac (inguinal)
List the 4 abdominopelvic quadrents.
Define complimentarity of structure and function.
Structure determines function, and function influences the actual anatomy of an organism over time.
Give an example of how the chemical macromolecule DNA can have an influence on body structure
Directs the differentiation of specialized cells in the lungs during development so that they can effectively contribute to respiratory function.
Discuss how structure relates to function at the tissue level of organization in the respiratory system.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview