Psy of Law
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
scientific study of behaviors and cognitive processes.
Body of rules of conduct prescribed by controlling authorities that has binding legal force.
Four Dilemmas in our Society are?
- Rights of Individuals vs Common Good
- Equality vs Discretion
- Discover the truth or resolve conflicts
- Science vs the Law as a source of decision
Rights of Individuals vs Common Good
- Common good is more important than the right of an individual.
- Due Process model: protection of innocent citizens.
- Crime Control model: seeks punishment of lawbreakers.
Equality vs Discretion
- Equality: same treatment for all who commit crime.
- Discretion: circumstances considered, different judgement.
- Does everyone get a ticket?
Discover the truth or resolve conflicts
Strive for a sense of justice such as a plea bargaining or inadmissable evidence.
Science vs the Law as a source of decisions
- Experimental Method: Testing of a statement through observation and systematic research.
- *Psychology approach
- Case Method: Believing an idea is correct b/c it can be logically deduced (a priori method).
- *Legal System
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview